Associate Professor of Chemistry
Donnelly Science Center 326
Jesse More grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio and received his BS in Chemistry from John Carroll University in 1998. He then went on to earn an MS (2001) and a Ph.D. (2004) in Organic Chemistry from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD). After one year of postdoctoral research at UCSD, he joined the Chemistry faculty of Loyola University as an assistant professor. He currently teaches Organic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry Lab, General Chemistry, and Organic Synthesis and Spectroscopy.
Area of Specialty
- Synthetic Organic Chemistry
My research involves the development of new strategies and tactics for the synthesis of organic molecules. Synthesis, which comes from the Greek word for "to put together", refers to the building of a molecule from simpler molecules via a series of chemical reactions. In this way, organic synthesis can be thought of as construction on a molecular scale. The main goal in any synthesis is to produce the target molecule in an efficient and high-yielding manner. In addition, a premium is placed on syntheses that use "elegant" and novel reaction sequences to attain the target molecule.
Synthesis enables the study of molecules which are only available in small amounts from natural sources, and perhaps more importantly, it allows for the creation of new molecules with new and unprecedented properties.
My students and I are actively engaged in the synthesis of several biologically active molecules. Some examples of our target molecules are shown below:
Refereed Publications at Loyola University
- More, J. D. Synthesis of (+/-)-Diospongin A: A Hetero-Diels-Alder and C-Glycosylation Approach. Synthesis, 2010, 2419-2423.
- More, J.D.; Campbell, M.G. Reaction of acetylated carbohydrates with trimethylaluminum; concise synthesis of 1,2-O-isopropylidene ribofuranose. Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50, 2617-2619.
- More, J. D. Synthesis of the Commercial Antidepressant Moclobemide. Journal of Chemical Education, 2008, 85, 1424-1425.
- More, J. D. Synthesis of Furopyranyl Pyrimidine Natural Products. A Review. Organic Preparations and Procedures International, 2007, 39, 107-134.
- More, J. D.; Finney, N. S. Synthesis of the Bicyclic Core of the Nucleoside Antibiotic Octosyl Acid A. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2006, 71, 2236-2241.
Refereed Publications at UCSD
- More, J.D.; Finney, N.S. Stereoselective Synthesis of the Core Stuctures of the Polyoxin and Nikkomycin Antibiotics. Synlett 2003, 1307-1310.
- More, J. D.; Finney, N. S. A Simple and Advantageous Protocol for the Oxidation of Alcohols with o-Iodobenzoic Acid (IBX). Organic Letters 2002, 4, 3001-3003.
- Organic Chemistry I (CH 301) and II (CH 302)
- Organic Chemistry Lab I (CH 307) and II (CH 308)
- General Chemistry I (CH 101) and II (CH 102)
- Organic Synthesis and Spectroscopy (CH 406)
Organic Chemistry Links