Assistant Professor of Chinese
Office: 463 Maryland Hall
- Harvard University, PhD (Pre-Modern Chinese Literature)
- Fudan University, BA (Chinese Literature)
Research and Teaching Interests
- Early and Medieval Chinese Literature
- Classical Chinese Poetry
- Chinese Language
Recent Courses Taught at Loyola University Maryland
Courses taught in Chinese:
- CI101 Chinese I
- CI102 Chinese II
- CI103 Chinese III
Courses taught in English:
- ML 310D Introduction to Traditional Chinese Culture
- ML 306D Modern Film and Classical Chinese Tales
Lectures and Presentations
Presentations at Scholarly Conferences (Recent and upcoming)
- March 2011. “Commercialization and Professionalization: Poetic Capital in Ninth-Century Chinese Entertainment Culture.” The 221st Meeting of the American Oriental Society, Chicago, IL.
- October 2009. “The Speaker and the Protagonist: A Tentative Approach to Analyze the Definiteness and Indefiniteness of Li Shangyin’s Poetry.” The 2009 Annual Meeting of the American Oriental Society Western Branch, University of California, Los Angeles, CA.
- May 2009. “The Shaping of Du Mu’s Fengliu Poetic Personality in the Ninth Century.” T’ang Studies: The Next Twenty-five Years, University of Albany, Albany, NY.
- March 2009. “To Be a Fengliu Poet in Ninth-Century China.” The 219th Meeting of the American Oriental Society, Albuquerque, NM.
- October 2007. “Poet-Lovers: Ninth-Century Poetry on Entertainers.” The 2007 Annual Conference of the New England Association for Asian Studies, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH.
Service, Activities, and Memberships in Academic Societies
Service: College Activities (Representative assignments)
Memberships in Academic Societies
- AAS (The Association for Asian Studies)
- AOS (American Oriental Society)
- T’ang Studies Society
- “The Speaker and the Protagonist: A New Approach to Li Shangyin’s Poetry” 說話者與主人公：李商隱詩歌解析方法新探. Journal of Capital Normal University (Social Sciences Edition) 首都師範大學學報 (社會科學版), 2011.10 (no. 5): 63-70.
- “Always Expressed Indirectly? Li Shangyin’s Poetry about Women and Love” 楚雨含情皆有託？——李商隱女性愛情詩新探. Sinology Studies 中國學研究14 (2011.8): 88-95.
- Singing Lips in Observation: Nineth-Century Chinese Poetry on Female Entertainers. Ph.D.
Dissertation (Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations). Cambridge: Harvard University, 2009.