Assistant Professor of Spanish Language
Office: 456 Maryland Hall
Research and Teaching Interests
- Colonial Spanish American Literatures and Cultures
- Visual Culture in Spanish America
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Teaching Excellence Nomination in the List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their students. Campus-wide semester evaluations carried out by the Center of Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009.
- Professional Development Grant. Awarded by the Office of the Provost, Lycoming College. Research Project: “Body, Space, and Social Order in the Late Colonial Period in New Spain.” Mexico City, Summer 2011.
- Faculty Development Fund. Awarded by the Office of the Provost, Lycoming College. Presentation at the SEA Biennial Meeting, Philadelphia, PA. Spring 11.
- Tinker Field Research Grant. Awarded by the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Research Project: “Processions and Festivities: Visual Representations in Written Texts and Paintings in the Viceroyalty of Peru.” Peru &Chile, Summer 2006.
Recent Courses Taught at Loyola University Maryland
- SN 201: Spanish Composition and Conversation
Lectures and Presentations
Presentations at Scholarly Conferences (Recent and upcoming)
- “Withcraft, Power, and Death: Dangerous Women in Northern Mexico in the Late Colonial Period.” Society of Early Americanists’ Seventh Biennial Conference, Philadelphia, PA. March 3-5, 2011.
- “Cuerpos abyectos y orden social: quién queda fuera en el plan para sanar a la Nueva España en Enfermedades políticas que padece la capital de esta Nueva España (1787) de Hipólito Villarroel.” Mid-America Conference on Hispanic Literature, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KA. November 5-7, 2009.
- “Money and Faith: A Secular Plan to Heal Mexico City in Enfermedades políticas que padece la capital de esta Nueva España by Hipólito Villarroel.” 2009 ASECS Annual Meeting, Richmond, VA. March 25th-28th, 2009.
- “Controlling Moving Bodies: Sixteenth-Century Visual and Textual Representations of the Indigenous People in Colonial Mexico.” Brownbag Series, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. December 4th, 2008.
- “The Imposition of Faith: Sins Depicted in the Images of Rhetorica Christiana by Diego de Valadés.” Latin American Studies Association, LASA 2007, Montreal, Canada. September 4- 7, 2007.
- “Processions and Festivities: Visual Representations in Written Texts and Paintings in the Viceroyalty of Peru.” Tinker Grant Workshop, sponsored by the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. October 19th and 20th, 2006.
- “La Historia de Yucatán de Bernardo de Lizana: el intento franciscano por controlar y vigilar el espacio y el cuerpo en Yucatán.” Kaleidoscope 2nd Annual Graduate Conference. University of Wisconsin, Madison. March 24th & 25th 2006.
- “Visual Culture and Religious Iconography in Peregrinaciones de una paria by Flora Tristán.” Multiplicities and Transitions, 8th Annual Graduate Symposium. Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana. March 3rd & 4th 2006.
Service, Activities, and Memberships in Academic Societies
Service: College Activities (Representative assignments)
Memberships in Academic Societies
2010 - present: Society of Early Americanists
2009 - present: American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
2007- present: Latin American Studies Association
- 2003- present: Modern Language Association of America
- “Cuerpo, conversión y sujeto religioso en la Retórica cristiana (1579) de Diego Valadés” Submitted to Estudios de Historia Novohispana.