Assistant Professor of Pastoral Counseling
Director of the M.A. Program
Loyola University Maryland
Pastoral Counseling Department
8890 McGaw Road
Columbia, MD 21045
Ph.D., Loyola College in Maryland
M.S., Loyola College in Maryland
B.D., University of Edinburgh
B.A., University of Virginia
Thomas E. Rodgerson is a pastoral counselor with treatment and research interests in working with clergy and clergy burnout, sexual compulsivity, multi-faith counseling, conflict mediation in religious organizations, and supervision. He has several publications in these areas and has done post-graduate education in the Psychohormonal Research Unit of Johns Hopkins University and the Lombard Mennonite Peace Center. In addition to being affiliate faculty at Loyola since 1995, his professional experience includes serving in parish ministry as an ordained pastor for fourteen years and serving as executive director of Centrepointe Counseling, Inc., a Samaritan Center, since 1990. Dr. Rodgerson is a licensed professional counselor in the state of Maryland and a national certified counselor. He is a diplomate with the American Association of Pastoral Counselors and currently serves on the Publications Committee of AAPC.
- Rodgerson, T. E. (1991). "Pastoral counseling and the informed relationship." Journal of Pastoral Care, 45, 389-398.
- Rodgerson, T. E. (1994). "Spirituality, stress, and you." Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press.
- Rodgerson, T. E. (2001). "Depth and breath: A theory of pastoral counseling supervision.' Journal of Supervision and Training in Ministry, 21, 272-288.
- Rodgerson, T. E. (2001b). "Pastors and paraphilias: A pastoral counseling approach." American Journal of Pastoral Counseling, 4, 19-36.
- Rodgerson, T. E. (2002). "Attending to the unspeakable in the spiritual formation of pastoral counselors." Journeys,4 (1), 5.
- Rodgerson, T.E. (2005). "Cultivating bottom land." Journeys, 7 (2), 9.
- Rodgerson, T. E., and Piedmont, R. L. (1998). "Assessing the incremental validity of the Religious Problem-Solving Scale in the prediction of clergy burnout." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 37, 517-527.
- Wicks, R., and Rodgerson, T. E. (1998). "Companions in hope: The art of Christian caring." Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press.