Loyola University Maryland

Department of Computer Science

Study Abroad Opportunities for CS Majors

image divider

Typically, a junior CS major has completed five of the 13 CS courses required for the major. In junior year, the typical major takes:

  • CS482 Software Engineering (spring)
  • CS451 Programming Languages (fall)
  • CS466 Operating Systems (spring)
  • and a CS elective

Of these courses, only CS482 is a prerequisite for a required course, CS496 CS Project (taken in the fall).

If you are away for the fall or the entire year, you need to enroll, while abroad, in Software Engineering, so that you can take CS496 with your classmates in the fall of your senior year. If you are abroad for an entire year, you also should take one or more additional CS courses. If Operating Systems and Programming Languages are not available, you may take upper-division CS courses as electives. (Have them approved by the department chair.)

The good news is that there are now five Loyola programs at institutions that have strong CS Departments with many course offerings. They are:

Monash University LogoAustralia: Monash University, Melbourne (fall or spring). SE I might be taught only in the spring, which in Australia is the first semester. See www.monash.edu.au and do a search on "computer science."

Newcastle University LogoGreat Britain: Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne (fall or full year). The British system uses "modules where 1 module = 1/12 of a year = 2.5 Loyola credits. An upper-division CS module will be counted as a Loyola CS course (3 credits). See www.ncl.ac.uk and follow links to Computing Science for course descriptions.

University of Auckland LogoNew Zealand: University of Auckland, Auckland (spring). See www.cs.auckland.ac.nz.


University College, Cork LogoIreland: University College, Cork (fall, spring, or full year). See


Nanyang Technological University LogoSingapore: Nanyang Technological University (fall or spring). See www.ntu.edu.sg/


Study abroad at other institutions is possible, but may mean that you will not be taking CS while abroad. If that is the case, it would be better to go abroad in the fall (so that you could take CS482 in the spring).

Remember that to qualify for study abroad, you must have a GPA of at least 2.5 (3.0 for some programs, like Monash) and no disciplinary infractions.