View the cultural calendar
- Saturday, February 6 - 9.45 am - 4.30 pm,m Trip to the Freer/Sackler Galleries in Washington D.C.: Museum Tour and Chinese New Year Workshop (Bring $10 for lunch. For reservation, please contact Dr. Yu Zhang.
- Wednesday, February 10 - Lecture at 3.00 in DS 075 by Counselor Bin Li of the Embassy of the People's Republic of China. Lecture titled "The Chinese Economy in 2015." Refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Dr. Jinghua Wangling
- Friday, February 12 - Dumpling Party at 5.00 in Lange Lounge.
A book exhibit called "China in Change" will be at the Loyola/Notre Dame Library all week. Sponsored by the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures and the Department of Economics.
The theme for this year's Italian Week is Messina: Culture and Civilization in Italian and Jesuit Tradition.
- Thursday, February 18 - 4.30 in KH B03, keynote lecture given by Father Thomas McCoog of Fordham University, "The Jesuit College of Messina and the Preferential Option for Education."
- Sunday, February 21 - 3.00 in the Alumni Memorial Chapel, Mass in Italian.
- Monday, February 22 - 6.30 in the 4th Floor Programming Room, Dr. Luca Grillo will give a lecture.
- Tuesday, February 23 - 7.00 there will be an Italian film called "L'uomo delle stelle" (The Star Maker) by Giuseppe Tornatore. Presented by Dr. Matthew Harper.
- Wednesday, February 24 - Sicilian food tasting, places limited. By reservation only with a $10 fee. Contact Mrs. Risso Robberto to reserve your spot.
- Thursday, March 8 - 7.00 in McGuire Hall, "Tarantelle e canti d'amore" by I Giullari di Piazza, led by Alessandra Belloni and John La Barbera.
The Mrs. Regina Ann Haig International Film Series
All film showings will be held in the Loyola/Notre Dame Auditorium. Refreshment will be served at 6:30 and movies begin at 7 p.m.
- February 24, 7.00 - Das Wunder von Bern (German)
- March 17, 7.00 - The Blue Kite (Chinese)
- April 7, 7.00 - Seven Beauties (Italian)
Learn more about the film series.
The Annual Hanna Geldrich-Leffman Colloquium on Language, Literature and Society
Learn more about the colloquium.
German Events - Filmfreitag
- Friday, February 12 - Film titled "Kokowaah," 3.00-5.00 in MH 442
- Friday, March 11 - Film titled "Beautiful Bitch," 3.00-5.00 in MH 443
- Friday, April 8 - Film called "Phantom Pain," 3.00-5.00 in MH 443.
Also, on April 15 the German Club will co-host a "Grillabend" with the Chinese Club at 5.30 in Seton Court.
All events will be at 4 p.m. in MH 442.
- February 19 - Japanese Calligraphy
- March 23 - Japanese Festivals
- April 18 - Japanese Movie
Chinese Club Events
- February 22 - Movie at 5.00 in MH 443
- March 11 - Game Hour at 3.00 in MH 442
- April 1 - Pingpong Tournament at 4.00 at the FAC
- April 15 - Shaokao-Grill Party (co-hosted with German Club) at 5.00 at Seton Court lawn
- May 3 - Movie at 5.00 in MH 443
- Thursday, February 18, at 6.00 p.m.there will be a lecture called "Latinos, Media and Politics: What Everybody should Know." This lecture will be given by Professor Federico Subervi. Room TBA. For more information, contact Dr. Ward at email@example.com.
Friday, February 19, at 3:30 p.m. in the Language Learning Center, MH 443 - The Loyola Arabic Language Club, otherwise known as Arabyola, presents a movie screening of Amreeka. A drama centered on the trials and tribulations of a proud Palestinian Christian immigrant single mother and her teenage son in a small town in Indiana.
- Friday, March 18, at 4.00 p.m. in MH 442 - Culinary Workshop. Students prepare and taste varieties of Arabic sweet and sour dishes and vote for the best one.
- Friday, April 1, from 4 .00 p.m.- Field trip to the Walter's Art Museum to see "Exploring Arabic and Islamic Calligraphy: A Marker of Poetry and Prayer."
For more information on any of these events, contact Dr. Hassan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Poetry Contest will be held on Wednesday, March 9, 2016 from 6.00-8.00 in the Reading Room. To be eligible, students must be taking a 103-level course or higher in any language. Please consult with your instructor before applying. Application forms can be gotten from your instructor or the Language Learning Center. For more information, contact Natalie.