Director of the Language Learning Center
Affiliate Assistant Professor
Maryland Hall 443
Language Learning Center Homepage
- Washington University in St. Louis, MA, PhD, Germanic Languages and Literatures
- Washington University in St. Louis, Graduate Certificate, Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- University of Pennsylvania, BA, German Literature and Language; English Literature
Research and Teaching Interests
- 14th-20th Century German Literature
- Feminist Theory and Masculinities
- Language Teaching and Technology
- Aesthetics and Technology
- War, Gender, and Literature
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Community-Engaged Learning & Scholarship Grant, Loyola University, Center for Community Service & Justice, 2017
- Nurturing Intellectual Friendships, Loyola University, Center for the Humanities, 2016
- Goethe-Institut / AATG Sommerschule Stipendium, 2016
- Affiliate Faculty Conference Award, Loyola University, Center for the Humanities, 2016
- SCSC Travel Award, Sixteenth Century Studies Conference, 2012
- Center for the Humanities Graduate Fellow, Washington University, 2012
- Graduate Dean’s Teaching Award, Washington University, 2011
- Schneider Stipendium, Herzog August Bibliothek, Germany, 2011
- Mellon Dissertation Seminar Fellowship, Washington University, 2009
- Newberry Summer Research Award, Washington University and the Newberry Library, 2009
- Wolfenbütteler Sommerkurs Stipendium, Herzog August Bibliothek, Germany, 2008
- Fulbright Fellowship, Fulbright Kommission, Germany, 2005-2006
Recent Courses Taught at Loyola University Maryland
- GR101 Beginning German I
- GR103 Intermediate German I
- SC210 Introduction to Gender Studies
- SC368 Masculinities
- LS684 All is Fair in Love and War: Women’s Literature from 900 to 2012
- LS744 American Manhood in the Making
- LS752 Sex and Modernity
Lectures and Presentations
Select Presentations at Scholarly Conferences
- "DIY War: Kriegsbücher and their Intended Audiences in 16th Century Germany," Renaissance Studies Association, Chicago, IL, April 2017.
- "'Neben mir ist noch Platz': Grammar and Multiculturalism in Paul Maar’s Children’s Novel," Northeast Modern Language Association Convention, Hartford, CT, March 2016.
- "Between the Battle Lines: Mediating War in Early Modern German Military Broadsheets," Panel Organizer: The Sights and Sounds of War: Cultural Approaches to Early Modern War, Sixteenth Century Society and Conference, Cincinnati, OH, October 2012.
- "Of Hussites and Haystacks: Gunpowder Warfare between Der Ring and the Hussite Wars," International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2012.
- "The Aesthetics of Gunpowder: Grimmelshausen's Springinsfeld and the Narration of War," The Modern Language Association Convention, Los Angeles, CA, January 2011.
- "'There lies hidden in me a manly heart': Women Warriors and Female Masculinity in Eberhard Happel's Der insulanische Mandorell," Sixteenth Century Society and Conference, Montreal, Canada, October 2010.
- "'Man sollt nie ohne Revolver ausgehen': Suicide and Self-Love in Arthur Schnitzler's Lieutenant Gustl," International Love and Sex Conference, University of West Georgia, Carollton, GA, November 2007.
- "'Ein blutiges Loch': Masculinity and the Pacifist Message in Bertha von Suttner's Die Waffen Nieder," Beauty and the Beast: Aesthetics and Social Upheaval, St. Louis, MO, February 2007.
Invited Lectures and Professional Workshops
- Ästhetik, Feminismus, Kriegslehre und die Darstellung des Krieges in der Frühen Neuzeit, Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen, June 2017.
- Managing White Male Privilege with Black Feminist, Ignatian, and Critical Pedagogies, Humanities Pedagogy Workshop, Üniversität Konstanz, June 2017.
- Misreading Gender: How Gender Impacts Pre-Adolescent Readers, Workshop for Middle School Teachers, January 2016.
- Taking Off Your Man Blinders, Men’s Leadership Conference, Student Engagement, Loyola University Maryland, November 2015.
- Film Screening Workshop & Discussion: The Mask You Live In, The Women’s Center, Loyola University Maryland (with Dr. Aaron Barnes), November 2015.
- Using VoiceThread for Oral Language Assessments, MLL Professional Development Workshop: “Friendship and SLA”, Loyola University Maryland, October 2015.
- German Cinema in the Age of Multiculturalism: Soul Kitchen (2009), Mrs. Regina Ann Haig International Film Series, Loyola University Maryland, October 2015.
- It’s On Us: Debunking Rape Myths, Panelist, Take Back the Night, Loyola University Maryland, October 2015.
- Early Modern Military Technology: Gunpowder, Gender, and Aesthetics, Invited Lecture at Randolph-Macon College, Political Science Department, April 2015.
- Is SVU for real? – Discussing Rape in the University Community, Loyola University Maryland, Freshmen Residence Hall Safety Event, October 2014.
- Gunpowder Weapons in the Arms and Armor Collection, Invited Gallery Talk: The St. Louis Art Museum, March 2012.
- Black Powder Plots: The Aesthetics of Gunpowder in Early Modern German Texts, Invited Lecture at Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg, Germany, June 2011.
- What do men want?: Men and Sex in the University Community, Sex Week, Washington University in St. Louis, February 2011.
- A Revolutionary Space: Philadelphia and the American War for Independence, Invited Lecture for Bamberg Anglo-American Society, Germany, March 2006.
Service, Activities, and Memberships in Academic Societies
Service: College Activities (Representative assignments)
- Coordinated Community Response Team (2017-Present)
- OUT Loyola Safe Zone Training Facilitator (2017-Present)
- MLL Website Redesign Committee (2015-Present)
- MLL Professional Development Workshop Committee (2015-Present)
- Board Member, Troy Vance Foundation (2015-Present)
- Academic Strategic Planning Committee, Immaculate Conception School (2014-Present)
- Senior Thesis Reader (History): Nicholas Capicotto, "The Rise of the American Physical Culture Movement: 1870-1914" (2017)
- Liberal Studies Workshop Coordinator (2014-2016)
- Interim Director of Program Operations for Liberal Studies (2015-2016)
- Liberal Studies Critical Pedagogy Reading Group Moderator (2015-2016)
- Messina Retreat Team, Faculty Member (2015)
- Master’s Capstone Advisor: Malika Rodgers, “Female Slave Narratives and Garrisonian Politics” (2014-2015)
- Society for German Renaissance and Baroque Literature, Treasurer (2011-2014)
Memberships in Academic Societies
- National Women’s Studies Association
- Society for German Renaissance and Baroque Literature
- Modern Language Association
- Sixteenth Century Society and Conference
- American Association of the Teachers of German
- Gunpowder Weapons and Black Powder Plots in Early Modern Germany (1400-1700). Forthcoming. Under review.
- “Eitel Arabisch: Kriegsbuch Translation and the Idea of a German Nation in the Sixteenth Century.” Article. Under review.
- “The Aesthetics of Gunpowder: Grimmelshausen’s Springinsfeld and the Narration of War in Early Modern Germany.” Clio: A Journal of Literature, History, and the Philosophy of History 41.3 (Fall 2012).
- “Men of Steel, Men of Powder: War, Guns, and Gender.” The Figure in the Carpet XI.1 (September 2012).
- “Wir rächen Blut mit Blut. Wir feiern in Finsternis, nicht im Licht.” Die Zeit (May 12, 2011).
- Review of Don Heinrich Tolzman. Christian Moerlein: The Man and His Brewery. Milford OH: Little Miami, 2012. The Report: A Journal of German-American History (Forthcoming).
- Review of Albrecht Classen et al. Sexuality in the Middle Ages and Early Modern Times. Berlin/New York: de Gruyter, 2008. Focus on German Studies (2009).
- “Gunpowder”, “Ballistics”, “Sebastian Franck”, and “Hugo Grotius” in The Encyclopedia of Renaissance Philosophy, Edt. Marco Sgarbi (Springer, 2017).