Clinical Assistant Professor
Division Director Loyola Clinical Centers
Loyola University Maryland
Pastoral Counseling Department
8890 McGaw Road
Columbia, MD 21045
Ph.D., Counselor Education and Supervision, Virginia Tech
M.A. Ed., Rehabilitation Counseling, George Washington University
B.A., Human Services, George Washington University
Dr. Branco is a licensed professional counselor in the state of Virginia. She has a post master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy and is an Approved Clinical Supervisor. For more than a decade she has maintained an independent clinical practice specializing in working with adults, children, and families connected to adoption and foster care. She has professional experience working in community mental health and with immigrant populations. She utilizes attachment theory, family systems, and trauma informed approaches in her clinical practice. Dr. Branco has presented at local and national counseling and adoption related conferences. Her research interests examine how school and clinical mental health counselors work with transracially adopted persons and clinical supervision practices within counselor education. She is a 2014 National Board of Certified Counselors Minority Fellowship Program Fellow. Dr. Branco is a member of the American Counseling Association and a division member of both the Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development and the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision.
- Flores-Koulish, S., & Branco, S. (2015). Navigating both and understanding the complex needs of Latino/a adoptees. The Journal of Social Distress and the Homeless, 24 (2), 61-80. doi:10.1179/1053078915Z.00000000024
- Alvarado S.B., Rho, J., & Lambert, S. (2014). Counseling families with late adolescent or young adult transracial and international adoptees. The Family Journal, 22 (4), 402-408. doi:10.1177/1066480714548390
- Bayne, H.B., & Branco, S. (2015). Broaching Practices of Counselors of Color and Implications for Counselor Training. Annual Conference, Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Philadelphia, PA, October 8, 2015.
- Branco, S. & Lieberthal, J. (2015). Emergent Adult Adopted Persons and Their Families: Counseling a Diverse and Underserved Group. Rudd Adoption Center Annual Conference, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, April 17, 2015.
- Brott, P, & Branco, S. (2014). What We Are Learning About Flipped Education in Graduate Education, Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Center for Instructional Development and Educational Research, Blacksburg, VA, February 7, 2014.
- O’Rouke-Trigiani, J., & Branco, S. (2014). How to Reach Your International Families: A Professional School Counselor Model, Virginia School Counselor Association, Richmond, VA, March 21, 2014.
- Branco, S. (2013). Working with Adoptive Families: Best Practices for School and Community Counselors, Virginia Counselors Association, Hot Springs, VA, November, 8, 2013.
- Branco, S. (2013). Counseling Transracial Adult Adopted Persons: Diversity and Lifespan Interventions. American Counseling Association (ACA). Cincinnati, OH, March 22, 2013.