Tips for a Successful Volunteer Experience
All members of the Loyola community are welcome to volunteer through the Center for Community Service and Justice.
- Make sure you know the name, phone number and e-mail address of the Service Coordinator who coordinates your service placement.
- If you are volunteering for an agency without a Service Coordinator, make sure to find out the name and title of your agency supervisor. Get to know them; share your information with them as well (email, Box#, local phone)
- Be as clear as possible with the volunteer coordinator about your expectations of the experience
- Become aware of what you will be expected to do; ask for a volunteer job description if there is one
- Fill out any relevant application forms
- Try not to commit yourself to more hours than you can complete; 1-3 hours per week are an average, appropriate time commitment
- Always call or e-mail if you are scheduled to volunteer and cannot make it
- Make your contact aware of your schedule early on; include things such as Spring Breaks, exam weeks and holidays
- Find out if there is a dress code; you should try to fit in as much as possible
- If your site is not within walking distance of the campus and you plan to use a Loyola vehicle, please read the section on transportation and fill out all appropriate paperwork before you commit to a starting date
- Let CCSJ staff know when and where you are volunteering