Cost of War
The Iraq war has certainly been costly in terms of lives lost, with thousands of U.S. military personnel dead, and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who have been killed. Also, the economic costs are far greater than most people imagine, with more than $1 trillion tax dollars spent in the first four years of the war. One trillion dollars equals $720 million spent each day, or $500,000 per minute. The taxpayer money spent on the war is displacing millions of Iraqis and destroying their hospitals and schools instead of supporting health care, education and housing for people in our own communities. To learn more about this initiative, visit American Friends Service Committee. Educational materials will be available.
On March 25th and 27th, 2009, CCSJ and the American Friends Service Committee co-sponsoring the awareness event by hosting the Cost of War table on the campus Quad. Loyola community member had an opportunity to share how they would spend $720 million. Here are some of their responses:
- "I would start the process of rebuilding our energy infrastructure in order to move toward clean energy alternatives."
- "I would send all the girls in poverty to schools where they could not be raped by their peers or teachers."
"Renovate the D.C. Public Schools. Invets in Treasury Bonds."
- "I'd increase teachers' salaries."
- "I would spend 90% on charities and hunger/clean water programs. And give the other 10% to my grandma to pay her back for taking care of me for 21 years."
- "I would make everyone have the health care they needed."
- "Build low-income housing facilities!"
- "I would make sure every student had text books."
- "I would use it to help fund sustainable community gardens nationwide."