The Multicultural Awareness Program (MAP) is designed to assist first-year ALANA students in acclimating to campus life at Loyola. Specific objectives of the program are academic enhancement, intercultural exploration, social adjustment and community service.
Students who participate in the Multicultural Awareness Program will:
- Become acquainted with the resources available to them at Loyola
- Have a better understanding of classroom expectations
- Meet members of their class as well as other ALANA students via teambuilding & ropes course
- Have the opportunity to explore Baltimore & Washington, DC (Past excursions include: The Inner Harbor, Latin Palace, Reginald Lewis Museum, Holocaust Museum, Great Blacks In Wax Museum, Cultural Tour of Baltimore)
- Meet faculty and administrators
- Have a GREAT time!!!
Register for MAP here.
Through shared wisdom and experiences, MAP Navigators guide participants through their first days of college life.
Want to be a MAP Navigator? Get your application (pdf format)! Applicants must also have at least two references complete the Navigator Reference Form.
Navigator Qualifications and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate must possess:
- Commitment to the mission and program objectives of MAP.
- Effective communication and organizational skills including the ability to meet assigned deadlines within structured time frames.
- Ability to take initiative and be a team player.
- The desire to work with diverse groups.
- Healthy appreciation for diversity and multicultural issues.
- Be a full-time undergraduate student at Loyola University Maryland, both currently and for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- A minimum G.P.A. of 2.5
*Unfortunately, you will not be able to serve as a Navigator if you are an RA, SGA Executive Board member, Evergreen, or Community Service Coordinator.
- Assist with the planning of events for MAP participants.
- Participate in ALL MAP sponsored events.
- Support and encourage participants to partake in cultural programs sponsored on campus throughout the year.
- Participate as a mentor in the ALANA Mentoring Program (AMP).
- Facilitate small group discussions (training will be provided).
- Participate in mandatory training during the fall and spring semesters.
- Attend periodic meetings throughout the academic year.
- Perform in the best interest of Loyola, as a representative for the University by presenting a positive outlook and view of the overall program.