The Jamaican Experience is a faith-based immersion that seeks to invite the Loyola community to respond to the Gospel mandate to work for peace and justice in the world. The Jamaican Experience allows participants to learn about the lives of and to be in solidarity with people who have been socially, economically, and/or politically marginalized.
Donate to the Jamaican Experience.
Goals and Objectives
The Jamaican Experience seeks to offer the opportunity to:
- Encounter the economically poor and marginalized of Jamaica through interpersonal dialogue and service;
- Reflect critically on issues of faith and justice;
- Learn about aspects of Jamaican culture through a series of speakers;
- Share individual skills, resources, and gifts for the purpose of creating a more just world;
- Nurture and challenge faith lives through worship and daily encounters with Jamaicans in an ecumenical setting.
Trip Destination: Mandeville, Jamaica
This application process is open to Loyola undergraduate and graduate students only. We are limited to ten participants, making the application process very important. We also hope to take a diverse group. Priority will be given to those who have not had significant international travel or immersion experience.
How to Apply
- We are limited to ten participants;
- Applications must be made on-line;
- You will need one personal reference in addition to completing the form;
- Completed Applications are due no later than 3pm on September 18, 2012;
- Interviews: September 20-21, 24-25 in Campus Ministry;
- Decision Letters will be available on September 26.
- Information Sessions: September 5 & 11 at 7pm in Campus Ministry (Cohn Hall 100);
- Weekly team meetings begin Monday, October 1, 4:30-6pm in Campus Ministry (Cohn Hall 100) and will continue on Monday throughout the fall semester.
The Annual Clothing Drive
The annual "Clothes for a Cause" drive, sponsored by this year's Jamaican Experience Team is scheduled for October 15 - November 5, 2012. As the weather turns cooler, all members of the Loyola community are invited to donate their "gently used" summer clothing and footwear. Collection tables will be on the Quad on October 15, 16, 17, from 11am until 2pm. You may also drop off items directly in the Campus Ministry Office in Cohn Hall anytime during regular business hours (8:30am-5pm). For more information, contact Angelique Snyder, CM Immersion Graduate Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the CM office at 617-2222. Last year we sent over 50 cases of clothing to Jamaica. Thank you in advance for your generosity!
Program Fee is $200. $100 deposit due upon acceptance to the team. The balance will be due in November.
Each team works to raise between $5,000-$10,000 to cover travel and program expenses and to bring funds (largely for construction projects, education and development initiatives) to the communities with whom we will work and live. We fundraise primarily through individual letter-writing solicitations. Do not let financial concerns inhibit you from applying. If the individual contribution poses a problem, we encourage you to speak with the CM coordinator.
For more information please contact George Miller, associate director of Campus Ministry at email@example.com.