Follow-Up After A Networking Event
Congratulations! You went to a networking event and connected with several potential employers. Now that the event is over, what should you do to maintain contact with the professionals you met and to keep the job/internship momentum going? Here are some tips for you to consider:
- Organize the material you collected. Review the business cards and corporate information you received to determine which companies and/or employment opportunities interest you.
- Reflect on your experience.
- How did you prepare?
- In what ways was your “elevator pitch” effective?
- In your estimation, what went well?
- What would you do differently in the future?
- What did you learn about yourself through this experience?
- Follow-up with a thank you note expressing your appreciation in meeting the professionals. If you attended a career fair, also express your continued interest in the company/organization and reiterate the position that you are interested in pursuing. Be sure to send your electronic or handwritten thank you note within 48 business hours after the event. View our Cover Letter and Professional Correspondence guide for a sample thank you letter.
- Connect with the professionals you met by connecting with them on LinkedIn. Build your professional network on LinkedIn by sending a personalized connection request stating you would like to add them to your professional network. Keep the conversation going - learn about new employment opportunities, upcoming company events, and industry information.
- If you do not already have your own LinkedIn profile, now is a great time to develop one. The Career Center offers a LinkedIn workshop that covers information on how to set up a LinkedIn profile and how to communicate effectively on LinkedIn.
- Complete the online application listed on the employer’s website, or on HireLOYOLA, if a position was discussed. Review other opportunities listed on the website and apply for those opportunities as well.
- Update your LinkedIn profile and resume, and upload your resume to HireLOYOLA.
Meet with a career advisor to further discuss what transpired at the fair or networking event, and for advice in connecting with other potential employment opportunities that may be available. Check the events calendar on HireLOYOLA for upcoming corporate presentations/information tables or campus interviews offered during the academic year. You can schedule an appointment with a career advisor by contacting The Career Center at 410 617-2232.