All weekly service run through CCSJ is organized under The Service Thing, a membership organization for students. The Service Thing provides a community for students who are committed to ongoing service, reflection, and relationship-building.
Students who join The Service Thing may choose from a large variety of partner agencies where they commit to weekly service for one semester. While days and times of service vary by site, all members of The Service Thing benefit from regular reflection through online and in-person venues.
Members of The Service Thing Commit to:
- Serve in Baltimore at least once each week at their chosen program
- Contribute thoughts to bi-weekly online discussions through Moodle
- Participate in group reflections led by Service Coordinators three times each semester (Preparation, Mid-Semester and Final)
Perks of Membership
- Meaningful, enriching service experiences
- A growing understanding of social justice
- New perspective on and ownership of the Baltimore community
- Deeper connections between service and spirituality
- New relationships and friendships
- Leadership opportunities
- Check out the list of service opportunities with The Service Thing!
- Contact the CCSJ Student Staff member responsible for the site.
- Attend the preparation session for the selected site.
- Sign a membership agreement form.
Other Weekly Service Options
For those interested in ongoing service opportunities not offered through The Service Thing, CCSJ recommends one of its non-Service Thing community partners that has weekly needs.