Once you decide integrate service-learning into your course, please honor the following timeline:
Midway through the semester PRIOR to the one when you plan to teach the course
- Review the Faculty Planning Guide and begin to think about what your objectives are for including service-learning in your course, what types of placements would be appropriate for your course, what agencies (if any) you have in mind, etc.
- Review the Center’s handbook to see a list of agencies with whom we work. Service-learning partnerships are not limited to this list, however, so feel free to explore other options.
- Meet with Dr. Robin Crews (email@example.com), director of service-learning, to discuss your syllabus, objectives, integration of reflection, and other pedagogical issues.
- Make an initial contact with someone at the agency or agencies; follow up with a visit.
- Include information in your syllabus about the service-learning aspects of the course, including relevant forms (service-learning contract, vehicle information sheet, description of placement options, etc.). These can also be posted on Moodle.
- If desired, arrange a time for someone to visit class and explain service-learning options (during the first week of class if possible).
Beginning of the semester when you plan to teach the course
- The assistant director of service-learning will work with Student Coordinators and community agency staff to coordinate logistics regarding placement, and will report back to you with information.
- Final decisions are made on placements.
- The assistant director of service-learning will visit class during first week of spring semester to explain options and logistics (or you may choose to explain to students yourself). Students then follow their own Service-Learning Timeline to choose placements and make arrangements.
During the Semester
- You should be in touch with the community agency staff person (preferably the person supervising your students) during the semester to see if there are any problems. Establishing open, two-way communication is very important. Mark it in your calendar to call the agency supervisor several times throughout the semester.
- Encourage students to communicate with you and with their agency supervisor if they are having any problems.
- The assistant director of service-learning will contact you to arrange for the students to take the service-learning course assessment.
End of Semester
- Students, service-learning faculty, and community partners complete an assessment through a form on the CCSJ website.
- Follow up with agency supervisor at the end of the semester.