All student assistant (SA) positions are 7-15 hours per week, paid positions to support CCSJ establishing a welcoming and safe environment which fosters education through service.
Primary roles of the SA are:
- to staff front desk
- to work as a team with other SAs to provide clerical and administrative support to CCSJ professional staff and service coordinators
- to perform the assigned specific tasks which pertain to the steady operation of the Center.
Student Assistant Qualifications
In addition to the CCSJ Staff General Qualifications
, Student Assistant applicants should:
- Have experience in community service and interest in social justice issues.
- Possess work experience in one or more of the following areas: Customer Service, Hospitality, Event Management, Desk Assistance is highly preferable.
- Working command of Microsoft Office, particularly Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
General Student Assistant Responsibilities:
- Gain a full knowledge of CCSJ mission and programs
- Greet visitors with hospitality (answer questions, take messages, refer to staff members)
- Keep the office common space and lobby clean and organized
- Office support: post flyers, run errands, bulk mailings, make copies, scans, fax, empty mail bag and distribute the mails, organize and distribute incoming faxes
- Office maintenance: stock paper in copier and student staff office printer.
- Check in with and assist Center staff with projects and tasks
- Check firstname.lastname@example.org email during work hours and respond to project accordingly
- Coordinate Motor pool related tasks, ie. submitting request, submitting cancellation, forwarding approval to the volunteers when it has been approved by Parking and Transportation Department
- Commit to 8-15 hours per week, divided among different job responsibilities. See the Week in the Life of a Student Assistant for details.
Student Assistant Position-Specific Responsibilities:
- Reply to letters from inmates requesting information booklets about meditation in prison, produced and provided by Dr. Drew Leder, a philosophy professor.
- Update the information of the incoming mail on the excel spreadsheet.
- Once letters have been replied to, send original letters to Dr. Leder via campus mail.
Office Supply and Storage Maintenance
- Maintain CCSJ storage at HU24 (basement) and Office Supplies (front desk cabinets and drawers).
- Notify CCSJ Program Assistant when certain office supplies are low and submit orders if requested.
- Restock paper supply in the cabinet and refill paper in copy machine.
- Update the storage database (excel spreadsheet) when there are changes in inventory.
- Collaborate with Care-a-van Service Coordinator to keep the storage organizes.
Office Cleanliness and Sustainability
- Clean the kitchen and refrigerator area periodically and store dried utensils, cups and plates in the cabinet.
- Water the plants around the office regularly.
- Organize newspapers, and magazines at the coffee table.
- Help decorate the common room for special events or holidays.
- Educate staff about sustainability and monitor progress.
Student Staff Relations
- Coordinate birthday card circulation for all student staff.
- Send reminder email to student staff about filling out the time sheet on time.
- Participate in the staff gathering committees .
- Organize the CCSJ library.
- Promote the library by selecting a "spotlight" book every 2 week.
- Keep track of the books/DVDs that are checked out.
- Update the catalog online (CCSJ website).
The Service Thing Program Assistant
- Manage TST student registration data in a database (excel spreadsheet).
- Maintain Moodle sites for all TST sites, in consultation with Loyola Tech Services Dept.
- Monitor Moodle participation and send weekly bulletins in consultation with Full-Time staff.
- Train and mentor Service Coordinators in using Moodle.
- Coordinate TST kick-off event.
- Periodically meet with TST committee.
- Attend training of new website maintenance software as required.
- Update CCSJ website as required.
- Regularly check the incoming Student Assistant Requests.
- Assign the incoming task to the team in consideration of the workload each SA already has.
- Update the status of each project and follow up with the staff member who assigned the task.
- Organize and maintain the red organization binder and all the folders on the front desk.
- Keep the communication log and electronic post-it notes up-to-date.
- Organize and clean the outdated email/projects in email@example.com
- Maintain and organize student assistant H drive.