Loyola University Maryland

Counseling Center

Quick Reference for Helping Students in Distress

image divider

1) Recognizing Symptoms

  • Problems with academic performance (e.g., absences, tardiness, poor performance)
  • Problems with career and major (e.g., chronic indecisiveness, lack of alternatives)
  • Unusual behavior (e.g., disruptive behavior, excessive emotionality, aggressiveness)
  • Traumatic change in relationships (e.g., death in family, divorce)
  • References to suicide

2) Responding to Students

  • Observe
  • Initiate contact
  • Offer support and assistance
  • Consult with Counseling Center professionals at 410-617-5109
  • Refer directly to a professional

3) Generally, a psychological emergency involves one or more of the following conditions:

  • A suicidal attempt, gesture, or stated intention
  • Behavior posing a threat to self
  • Behavior posing a threat to others
  • Loss of contact with reality
  • Inability to care for oneself

    Responding to Emergencies

  • Stay calm
  • Talk in clear, straight-forward manner
  • Do not leave student unattended
  • Arrange for intervention: call the Counseling Center at 410-617-5109 and ask for our counselor on duty or walk them directlty to HU150. If student is unusually aggressive or unmanageable, or if it after-hours, contact campus police 410-617-5911 to speak with our counselor on call for emergencies only 

4.) Making a Referral 

  • Be caring, firm, and straight-forward in your recommendations
  • Suggest that the student call or come in to make an appointment Humanities Center, Room 150, 410-617-5109
  • Call or walk the student over yourself, if an emergency
  • Remind the student that services are FREE AND CONFIDENTIAL

5) About the Counseling Center

  • Intake interviews can be scheduled over the phone or in person
  • Walk-in emergency counseling is available
  • Phone consultation with a professional is available by calling 410-617-2273
  • Services include individual counseling, group counseling, and psycho-educational workshops

6) Report Bizarre of Disruptive Behavior  

  • Dean of Students (410-617-2842)
  • Dean of First Year Students (410-617-5547)
  • Student Life (410-617-2488 or 410-617-5081)

* Partial information obtained from the Association of University Counseling Center Directors' resources.

How Flexible Are You?