While some people come to the retreat center to reflect and meditate, others visit the center with a group to learn, pray, or celebrate. Others come to enjoy the use of our facilities with no specific plan. While you are here, our staff is prepared to assist our retreatants as much as possible. We can help with planning of retreat activities, dining, and recreation activities.
Our experienced staff knows the campus and surrounding area and will help ensure guests have every opportunity for an interesting and fulfilling experience. We will help inform and direct guests to all of the wonderful recreation and relaxation areas of the retreat center including our walking trail, the recreation meadow, and our ever expanding library.
Our culinary staff continues to create exceptional menus that will keep you coming back to this campus. We are usually able to accommodate diet and lifestyle choices.
Please contact Event Services at 410-617-5780 to discuss your specific retreat needs.
We believe that each person is a composite of body, mind, heart, and soul, and that we need opportunities to reconnect these parts of ourselves. Because of that belief we are pleased to offer the services of a certified massage therapist. Reservations for massage are required in advance. Please contact us for a list of available body work modalities, to inquire about rates, and to make massage appointments.
There are numerous places of interest located near the campus where guests can spend free time or incorporate scheduled trips as part of their experience. The following is a list of some nearby attractions guests can enjoy during their stay at Rising Phoenix Retreat Center. Please contact us for reservations and more information.
- The Horse Farm: Offers a petting zoo and trail rides for varied lengths of time. Riding arrangements need to be made in advance, but guests are welcome to visit the petting zoo at anytime. Please call 814-784-5223 for more information.
- The Knot Hole: A unique gift and craft shop housed in two buildings only about a five minute drive from the retreat center. The peach house is filled with a variety of treasures. The low building is filled with Amish furniture, candles, and other gems. It is a must see local haunt.
- Green Ridge State Forest: One of the largest forest areas in the state of Maryland, Green Ridge is a marvelous place for observing nature. The information center has a detailed map of hiking trails. In the fall there is a self-guided color tour for which we have instructions. Visitors have the opportunity to view the Potomac River, mountains, and C&O Canal from a variety of vantage points.
- The Road Kill Cafe (Snider's): This a place of local color. It is a gas pump, cafe, grocery, pharmacy, and hunting and fishing supply. Probably the best cup of coffee in the area and homemade pie is served fresh on Thursdays.
- C&O Canal: Beautiful views, nature, history, and trails welcome visitors along this western portion of the C&O Canal. Orleans is a stop on the canal, and hiker/biker camping is offered.
- Rocky Gap State Park: Offers a beautiful lake, hiking/biking trails, swimming, boat rentals, golf course, and a lovely restaurant in the new hotel. This is an easily accessible place with beautiful scenery and lots to take in.
- Skiing: The retreat center is located 20 minutes from Whitetail, 60 minutes from Wisp, and 90 minutes from Blue Knob. For cross-country skiing, you can't beat New Germany State Park, one hour west on Interstate 70.