Workshop Program (tentative)
| 8:30 a.m.
||Breakfast and Conversation
|9 - 9:15 a.m.
Welcome and Overview
|9:15 - 10 a.m.
Plenary: High-Impact Teaching Practices and Student Success
AAC&U Team for 2017 Summer Institute on High-Impact Practices and Student Success
- James Dickinson, assistant vice president for career services
- Barnaby Nygren (Fine Arts), associate professor of fine arts, Committee on the Assessment of Student Learning
- Lisa Oberbroeckling (Mathematics), Class Dean of 2022
- Marie Yeh (Marketing), assistant professor of marketing
Resources: American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) Resources for High-Impact Practices
|10 - 10:15 a.m.
|10:15 - 10:45 a.m.
Flash Sessions: Campus Support for High-Impact Teaching Practices
“Flash sessions” are a new conference model to offer short bursts of information to facilitate networking, exchange, and community. Each session will consist of a 7-10 minute presentation highlighting campus support for high-impact practices, with time for a few questions. We hope it leads to follow-up conversations and planning. Each session offered twice so that participants can take part in two.
Participating offices: TBD
Resource: Faculty Development and Diversity Page
| 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Divisional Break-Out Streams: Student Research as a High-Impact Teaching Practice (more information on each breakout session will be available soon)
- Claire Mathews McGinnis (Theology)
- Nicholas Miller (English)
- Mavis Biss (Philosophy), Facilitator
Natural and Applied Sciences
- Robert Bailey (Engineering) and Robert Pond (Engineering)
- Maren Blohm (Biology), Facilitator
- Theresa DiDonato (Psychology)
- Mickey Fenzel (Pastoral Counseling)
- Lisa Schoenbrodt (Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences)
- Jill Snodgrass (Pastoral Counseling), Facilitator
School of Education
- Laura Alpaugh (Teacher Education) and Jesse Braitman (BCPS, Overlea High School)
- Camika Royal (Teacher Education)
- Wendy Smith (Teacher Education)
- Stacy Williams (Teacher Education) and Scott Kotarides (BCPS, Overlea High School)
- Vanessa Dodo-Seriki (Teacher Education), Facilitator
Sellinger School of Business and Management
- Gloria Wren (Information Systems, Law, and Operations Management)
- Patricia Kanashiro (Management and International Business), Facilitator
| 12 - 1 p.m.
||Lunch and Conversation
Other Afternoon Offerings
Shuttle Tour of Baltimore (sponsored by CCSJ)
3 - 4:30 p.m. (Depart from Govanstowne Farmer's Market at 5104 York Road)
Join your colleagues in discovering our great city, including our nearest neighbors and Loyola's presence throughout Baltimore. Especially good for newer faculty and also those who want to commit to engaging our city. RSVP with email@example.com
Teaching Enhancement Committee
- Chair: Maren Blohm (Biology)
- Mavis Biss (Philosophy)
- Vanessa Dodo Seriki (Teacher Education)
- Patricia Kanashiro (International Business)
- Jill Snodgrass (Pastoral Counseling)
- Cheryl Moore-Thomas (Education Specialties /Academic Affairs), ex officio
Past Teaching Enhancement Workshops
January 2017: Evidence-Based Teaching Practices
August 2016: Race in the College Classroom
January 2016: Modes of Engagement
August 2015: Inclusive Teaching and Loyola's Diversifying Student Body
January 2015: The Jesuit Mission, In Action
August 2014: Beyond Words: The Power of Nonverbal Communication in Teaching