Welcome to Loyola! Faculty are at the heart of our academic mission and the Office of Academic Affairs wants to help your transition to the classroom, to Loyola, and to Baltimore. These resources pertain to all types of faculty unless otherwise specified. Your home department will likely offer guidance on department-specific policies and practices, with support from the Chair and administrative support staff. Additionally, new faculty orientations and semi-annual teaching enhancement workshops will help connect you to key people and resources around the university. For now, this New Faculty page serves as a one-stop roadmap to key resources you may need leading up to Day One of the semester. If there is something missing here, contact us and we’ll help you find it.
New Faculty Orientation
Monday, August 29, 2016, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
, Evergreen campus, open to all new full-time faculty. Offered the Monday before fall semester.
Sample agenda (fall 2015)
New Part-Time Faculty Orientation
Tuesday, January 12, 2016, 5-8:30 p.m.
(optional pre-session on technology 4-5 p.m.), Timonium campus, open to all new or newer part-time or per-course faculty. Offered Tuesday evenings before fall and spring semester.
Agenda (spring 2016) | RSVP to Kristen Fisher
- Records Office – Information on registration, class rosters, classroom assignments, schedules and exams, catalogues, and other university policies.
- Webadvisor –The portal for your own class rosters, room assignments, midterm and final grades, etc. A quicker route is through the quicklinks in the right-hand column of your
- Moodle – Loyola’s Learning Management System (internal use)
- Bookstore – Textbook orders generally due mid-March for fall courses and mid-October for spring courses. Your Department Chair or administrative assistant will know the deadline for any given semester.
- Sample syllabi – Departments maintain past syllabi for courses in their curriculum. Consult your Chair or administrative assistant. If you are teaching in a particular program, such as Messina or Service-Learning, you might also consult the appropriate office for sample syllabi.
- Undergraduate learning aims
- Graduate learning goals
- Honor code and academic dishonesty
- Maintaining Classes During University Closure (guidance, including Inclement Weather)
- Sample course evaluation (PDF). Official evaluations administered by the Office of Institutional Research. Some departments use their own forms--consult your Chair.
- FERPA (Federal Educational Rights Privacy Act
Key Offices Supporting Student Success
Key Entities Supporting Faculty Success
Information and Resources Specific to New Tenure-Track Faculty