What it is:
The Edible Book Project is a celebration of books through the use of cake! Participants will create an “edible book” using cake which can be inspired by a favorite book, involve a pun on a famous title, or simply be in the shape of a book. Edible books will be exhibited in the library Gallery April 14 & April 15.
2014 Edible Book Project Categories:
- Cake inspired by the 2013-2014 First-Year Common Text: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Marc Haddon
- Cake inspired by the 2014 Humanities Symposium Text: Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- Cake Inspired by Your Favorite Book
2014 Award Categories (Prizes will be awarded for each of the winners of these categories):
- Best Interpretation of the 2013 Common Text
- Best Interpretation of the 2014 Humanities Symposium Text
- Most Humorous
- People’s Choice
- Visitors to the Loyola – Notre Dame Library on April 14th will have the ability to view and vote for the “Most Humorous” and “People’s Choice” awards.
- Other awards will be judged by a panel of Loyola faculty, staff, and administrators TBD.
Who can participate?
- The edible book project is open to any undergraduate student at Loyola University Maryland.
- Participants must pre-register due to space limitations & supply arrangements. To pre-register, participants must email Mary Ellen Wade at email@example.com with the following information by April 6th. If entering as a team, only one email to Mary Ellen is necessary:
- E-mail Address
- Bringing own cake? Yes or No
- Attending the Cake Decorating Party to decorate a cake there? Yes or No
How students can participate (remember to RSVP by April 6th!):
- BYOC (Bring Your Own Cake): you make & decorate a cake on your own or in a group. No supplies or cake will be provided to you. Cakes should be no taller than 7”, no wider or longer than 12.” Drop off your cake on Sunday, April 13th in Flannery O’Connor Hall Room 230 anytime from 3:30pm-8pm.
- Attend Our Cake Decorating Party: Show up anytime between 3:30pm-8:30pm on Sunday, April 13th to Flannery O’Connor Hall Room 230 to decorate a pre-made cake. All cake decorating supplies will be provided! You can individually decorate a cake or submit a team cake. Teams can be no larger than 6 people.
Timeline for the Project:
- Sunday, April 6: deadline to email firstname.lastname@example.org to participate.
- Sunday, April 13: Cake Decorating Party from 3:30pm-8:30pm in Flannery O’Connor 230. Decorate a pre-made cake or drop off your pre-made/pre-decorated cake.
- Monday, April 14: Open judging of cakes in the Library Gallery from 8am-4pm by library visitors for the “Most Humorous” and “People’s Choice Award” categories. Between 3:45pm-4:15pm guest judges will be present to vote for the other awards. Winners will be tallied and announced at a reception held from 4:30pm-5:30pm in the Library Gallery. All are welcome to attend the reception!
- Tuesday, April 15: View the cakes and check out the winning cakes until 1pm. Between 1-2pm participants who want their cakes back can pick up their cakes or delegate someone to pick up their cake for them.
Event sponsored by: Messina and the Loyola – Notre Dame Library