The graduate assistants (GAs) for ALANA Services are expected to assist in the development and implementation of multicultural and diversity initiatives for ALANA Services and the Division of Student Development. There are three positions in our office: Leadership Development Graduate Assistant, Research & Retention Graduate Assistant, and Academic & Career Enrichment Graduate Assistant.
Graduate assistants employed by ALANA Services will enhance competencies in one or more of the following areas:
- Student Learning and Development
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Advising and Helping
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Assessment, Evaluation and Research
- Professional Development and Work Ethics
Graduate students employed by ALANA Services will be held accountable for the following:
- Assist with the development of multicultural, educational programs to serve the needs of ALANA students and the university community.
- Assist the office with the fulfillment of 4 of its 5 target areas:
1. Leadership Development
• Leadership Roundtables
• Leadership Training Programs
• Attending leadership conferences
• ALANA Leadership Retreat
2. Cultural Programming
• Campus wide events (cultural heritage celebration programs)
• Educational activities (diversity workshops, Wrap Session series)
• Social activities (dances and receptions)
• International Festival
• Multicultural Awareness Program
• ALANA Mentoring Program
• Academic Enrichment Program
• ALANA Anthem Newsletter
• ALANA Display Case & Bulletin Board
• Career Enrichment Workshops
• Resource library
•Facilitate diversity focus groups to assess ALANA student needs, trends, and program effectiveness.
•Fulfill specific duties as outlined under the GA focus areas – see below
•Other duties as assigned
- Conduct him/herself with professionalism during all interactions with students, staff, and faculty of Loyola University Maryland.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the promotion of diversity and the education of Loyola students on issues of multiculturalism and awareness.
- Attend weekly one-on-one meetings with his/her supervisor.
- Available for night and weekend activities.
- Maintain office hours.
- Serve as a positive role model and advocate for ALANA students.
ALANA Academic & Career Enrichment Graduate Assistant will:
- Coordinate, execute and evaluate two academic and two career related workshops per semester
- Compile and Maintain a list of scholarships and internships (both hard copy and online)
- Coordinate “Study Hall” sessions in the Claver Multicultural Center
- Develop, execute and evaluate a peer tutoring system
- Serve as a liaison to the Career Center, Academic Advising, The Study, and The Writing Center
- Assist with the outreach to ALANA Students regarding both academics and vocational/career concerns
- Coordinate campus-wide cultural heritage celebration programming, working with two designated ALANA organizations/celebrations on programming
- Have monthly one on one meetings with the president of these ALANA organization
- Meet with the executive boards as necessary
- Meet with a representative of the executive boards in advance of their heritage celebration time period
- Ensure completion of program evaluations
- Work with the Leadership Development & Cultural Programming GA and the Research & Retention GA to coordinate and execute International Festival and “A Night of Stars”
- Actively participate in the execution of the Multicultural Awareness Program (pre-orientation program) e.g. interviewing prospective Navigators, providing feedback about the program, being present during the entire program including the Navigator Training
- Participate in weekly ALANA staff meetings and supervision meetings
- Partner with Leadership Development & Cultural Programming GA and the Research & Retention GA on marketing communications (e.g. ALANA Anthem Newsletter, etc.)
- Maintain records/files in an organized manner
- Attend and assist with ALANA sponsored events, including those on nights and weekends
- Chaperone on-campus ALANA Club weekend parties and events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Evaluate the Academic Enrichment program
- Coordinate, execute and evaluate all Academic and Career Workshops
- Create a calendar of Academic and Career Enrichment workshops/events at the beginning of each semester to be shared at the Departmental Planning Day
- Have monthly one on one meetings with the president of designated ALANA organization & attend club meetings
The GA position will be part-time, twenty hours per week, starting the first week of August and ending the third week of May. The GA will be compensated a total of $13,500; Tuition Amount $6750 and Stipend Amount $6750. The GA will work a total of 800 hours between fall & spring semesters. The GAs will be permitted to procure additional employment with the approval of the Supervisor.
In addition to the Application for Graduate Assistantship, your application should include a cover letter, resume, and a list of references. Complete applications should be emailed to:
Raven Williams, Associate Director, ALANA Services
Graduate Assistant Employment Application