Graduate Assistant for Social Justice/Interfaith
|The Campus Ministry staff seeks a Graduate Assistant to work with the Assistant Director for Social Justice/Interfaith Ministries and the Campus Ministry team. This position requires the planning and coordination of events, programs and outreach to educate and engage the campus community. The Graduate Assistant will assist the Campus Minister in building connections between faith and justice by carrying out the responsibilities listed below, and promoting campus dialogue, reflection and action. Social analysis and reflection upon experience are primary methods utilized.
Hours & Wages
Remuneration: the GA position will be part-time position, 15 hours per week for 20 weeks, beginning the third week in August and ending the third week in May. The GA will be compensated a total of $7800: Tuition remission $3,900 (50%) and Stipend $3,900 (50%). The GA may also choose a 40% stipend and 60% scholarship distribution.
* Compensation may be prorated depending on when position is filled and how many hours of work will actually be completed during the semester.
- Must be enrolled as a graduate student at Loyola College.
- Willingness to grow, learn and share in a faith-based community
- Exhibit time management and organizational skills
- Model commitment to dependability and accountability
- Celebrate and welcome the diversity of views, faiths, spiritualties, race, gender, and sexual identities embodied in our community
- Ability and desire to collaborate and work on a team
- Demonstrate initiative and leadership
- Willingness to learn about and work with sensitivity to diversity and privilege.
- Appreciation of the role of faith development as part of a Jesuit education.
- Strong relational and organizational skills required, as well as an ability to engage students in educational opportunities.
- Ability to dialogue with persons with diverse political and ideological views, and to be open to working with them to create educational opportunities.
- Respect for supervision, peers, the office and partnership
- Care for self and others
- Availability for two year commitment (upon re-evaluation at the end of the first year) would be preferred, although not required.
- Familiarity and willingness to learn about Ignatian Spirituality and the life of St.Ignatius.
- Attend training day with previous Graduate Assistant in spring 2015 (Date TBD).
- Attend on-campus training days: August 17 – 18, 2015
- Attend occasional staff meetings and formation days throughout the academic year (Dates TBD)
- Engage in regular (Weekly or Bi-weekly) supervision with the Assistant Director.
- Assist in supervising and directing the Social Justice and Interfaith Student Interns
- Oversee recruitment, coordination and placement of volunteers for Presence for Christmas
- Development of creative programming based on student needs and in response to local, national and global events
- Help manage the planning, organization and facilitation of the following:
- Campus and local religious/justice partnerships
- Movies with Meaning
- Soup with Substance
- Justice and faith education-action programs
- Faith and justice cohorts
- Campus publicity and presentations
- Campus advocacy action
- Student club and organization collaborations
- Interfaith & ecumenical prayer services
- Other duties as assigned
Prayer and Worship Responsibilities
- Lead occasional evening prayer and meditation for students
- Assists in planning, logistics and implementation of day retreats and evening reflections
Additional Responsibilities for Housing (5 hours per week)
St. Alphonsus Responsibilities & Residence Hall Ministry Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Student Life & Residence Hall Assistances to provide programming in the halls
- Work with University Chaplain & Campus Ministry Student Interns to plan and facilitate St. Alphonsus House Dinner Program.
- Ensure St. Alphonsus house is clean and hospitable for user groups.
The Graduate Assistant will be supervised by and accountable to the Assistant Director & University Chaplain. Input and observations may also be provided by other Campus Ministry professionals.
Assistant Director of Campus Ministry
Graduate Assistant Employment Application