The Department of Recreational Sports is seeking candidates enrolled in a full-time graduate program for the 2017-18 academic year at Loyola University Maryland to join our staff. Graduate Assistant positions will assist in the oversight of 6 areas important in the success of our Department.
A vital part of the student experience, the Department of Recreational Sports is built on programming excellence, a nationally recognized facility and a student development model that honors and educates the whole person. Graduate Assistants are an integral part of the Recreational Sports team. As a GA in our department, you can expect to learn and grow in a supportive environment; be treated with respect, fairness and honesty; and be well equipped for personal and professional challenges in your chosen career path.
- Effective communication
- Time management
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Ability to plan and organize
- Enhanced diversity & inclusivity
- Civic responsibility
- Effective leadership
- Change management
- Employee supervision & development
- Facility & Program management
|Criteria for Success
- Ability to develop student staff, including hiring, training, supervising and evaluation.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to all patrons and guests.
- Ability to work closely with fellow team members and campus colleagues.
- Demonstrates strong inter-personal and communication skills as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to problem solve, manage multiple tasks and priorities and make an informed decision independently.
- Reliability and flexibility related to work schedule.
- Maintain a positive attitude for all patrons and Recreational Sports staff.
- Positively promote Recreational Sports to peers and patrons and takes initiative to be involved throughout campus.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills and the ability to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds
|Areas of Focus
- Special Events
- Develop, manage and assist in marketing all Department of Recreational Sports special events.
- Serve as department liaison with campus groups and departments in co-sponsoring special events.
- Coordination of special events including planning, communication, logistics and implementation.
- Train, supervise and schedule department student employees for supervision and management of special events.
- Assist with daily operations of a comprehensive recreation program including the fitness center, equipment room and fitness programming.
- Assist in managing the Operations Assistant student employee staff including: recruitment, hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation.
- Provide oversite of equipment inventory, routine maintenance and repairs of fitness areas.
- Represent the department at various orientations and information fairs.
|Hours & Wages
- $9,900 for 600 hours (300 hours per semester; approximately 20 hours per week)
- Compensation can be given at 50% scholarship/50% stipend or 60% scholarship/40% stipend
Application: Submit cover letter indicating at least two areas of interest and current resume including the names and phone numbers of no less than three references to: Andy Black, Associate Director of Recreational Sports, Loyola University Maryland, Fitness & Aquatic Center, 4900 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21210 or via email at email@example.com
Graduate Assistant Employment Application