|Position and Department
Research & Retention, ALANA Services
The graduate assistants (GAs) for ALANA Services are expected to assist in the development and implementation of multicultural and diversity initiatives for ALANA Services and the Division of Student Development. There are three positions available: Leadership Development & Cultural Programming Graduate Assistant, Research & Retention Graduate Assistant, and Academic & Career Enrichment Graduate Assistant.
The GA position will be part-time, twenty hours per week, starting August 6, 2012 and ending May 17, 2013. The GA will be compensated a total of $13,500; Tuition Amount $6750 and Stipend Amount $6750. The GA will work a total of 800 hours between fall & spring semesters. The GAs will be permitted to procure additional employment with the approval of the Supervisor.
- Assist with the development of multicultural, educational programs to serve the needs of ALANA students and the college community.
- Assist the office with the fulfillment of 4 of its target areas:
- Leadership Development
- Leadership Roundtables
- Leadership Training Programs
- Attending leadership conferences
- ALANA Leadership Retreat
- Campus wide events (cultural heritage celebration programs)
- Educational activities (diversity workshops, Wrap Session series)
- Social activities (dances and receptions)
- International Festival
- Multicultural Awareness Program
- ALANA Mentoring Program
- Academic Enrichment Program
- ALANA Anthem Newsletter
- ALANA Display Case & Bulletin Board
- Career Enrichment Workshops
- Resources library
- Facilitate diversity focus groups to assess ALANA student trends, needs, and program effectiveness.
- Fulfill specific duties as outlined under the GA focus areas – see below
- Other duties as assigned
- Conduct him/herself with professionalism during all interactions with students, staff, and faculty of Loyola University Maryland.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the promotion of diversity and the education of Loyola students on issues of multiculturalism and awareness.
- Attend weekly one-on-one meetings with his/her supervisor.
- Available for night and weekend activities.
- Maintain office hours.
- Serve as a positive role model and advocate for ALANA students.
- Coordinate, execute and evaluate the ALANA Mentoring Program, including Monthly Mentor Meetings, social enrichment activities, and AMP Mentor selection and Training.
- Facilitate focus groups with African American, Latino/a, Asian and Native American undergraduate students, connecting with the Office of Institutional Research for support.
- Coordinate outreach to underrepresented groups (e.g. athletics and other subgroups)
- Assist with the planning and evaluation of identity support groups (e.g. MAN2MAN and Sister to Sister)
- Research and share with the staff current trends and best practices in higher education
- Partner with the Office of Institutional Research
- Assist the Leadership Development & Cultural Programming GA with the preparation and planning of Native American Heritage Month, Black History Month and the Caribbean Heritage Celebration
- Work with the Leadership Development & Cultural Programming and the Academic & Career Enrichment GAs to coordinate and execute International Festival and “A Night of Stars”
- Actively participate in the execution of the Multicultural Awareness Program (pre-orientation program) e.g. interviewing prospective Navigators, providing feedback about the program, being present during the entire program including the Navigator Training
- Serve as a liaison between ALANA & specified student organizations and/or College departments
- Participate in weekly ALANA staff meetings and supervision meetings
- Partner with Leadership Development & Cultural Programming GA and the Academic & Career Enrichment GA on marketing communications (e.g. ALANA Anthem Newsletter, etc.)
- Maintain records/files in an organized manner
- Attend and assist with ALANA sponsored events, including those on nights and weekends
- Chaperone on-campus ALANA Club weekend parties and events as needed.
- Evaluate AMP activities, as well as the overall program with both mentors and mentees once per semester and implement needed changes/improvements
- Maintain AMP budget on excel spreadsheet
- Coordinate two focus groups per semester
- Work with the Director of ALANA Services on research projects and a departmental study
- Create a calendar of AMP and Brown Bag events at the beginning of each semester to be shared at the Departmental Planning Day
- Partner with the Director and Assistant Director of ALANA Services to further define the Research & Retention Graduate Assistant Position.
Cristina C. Garcia, Assistant Director, ALANA Services
Graduate Assistant Employment Application