Contact: Kenneth Kwarciany
School: Freie Universitat Berlin (FU-BEST, the Berlin European Studies Program of Freie Universität Berlin)
Program Cost Estimate Sheet
Apply to this Program
This is Loyola’s newest program and will be offered in both the Fall and Spring Semester. Students will be studying at the FU-BEST - the Berlin European Studies Program hosted by Freie Universitat of Berlin. Students will have the opportunity to study and live in one of Europe’s most historical and cosmopolitan cities. Over 3 million people live in the thriving city of Berlin. This European Studies Program will allow students to take advantage of the excellent German educational system, cultural activities and recreational interests in Europe.
Criteria for Applying
- The FU-BEST Program requires students to have a 3.00 cumulative GPA for consideration for admission.
- Disciplinary records will be taken into account when determining eligibility.
- Students must submit an application and be accepted by FU-BEST
*Students must follow very specific deadlines regarding the application as courses are given on a first come first serve bases.*
- The Office of International Programs will ask you to apply to the FU-BEST Program in advance of the FU-BEST deadline in order to have the strongest consideration for admission and course registration.
- FU-BEST is very strict in regards to deadlines and policies.
- Each student must submit an online application (admission and housing), an official transcript, one passport-size photo, health insurance documentation, and a color copy of the inside of your valid, signed passport.
- Students must pay an application fee to FU-BEST.
- FU-BEST will review all of the admission materials before rendering a decision.
Length of Stay
- This is a one-semester program for the fall or the spring semester
- The fall program runs late August-mid-December. The spring program runs early January-end of April (dates will change from early Feb-May starting in Spring 2017).
- Students can study for the fall or spring semester and typically take a total of 5 courses for the semester.
- Prior knowledge of German is not required.
- All students with prior German language, must take two German language courses and take 3 additional courses called content courses at FU-BEST. Content courses are courses in the areas of history, political science, communication, philosophy and other humanities, business (limited), and social science courses.
- Introductory through advance German is offered.
- Most courses are taught in English.
- There are a limited number of core courses offered and NOT all majors are accommodated on this program. Check with the Office of International Programs for more detailed course information.
Disclaimer: In case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester Loyola University will work with the host university abroad to provide additional support or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulations of the host university and the laws of the host country. Loyola University Maryland will not makes any changes to its course, grade, or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.
- Roundtrip Airfare
- Airport Pick up and Drop off (Stipend will be provided)
- Local field trips are a part of the program and are connected to some of the FU-BEST courses. Some local field trips are required as part of the course.
- The program provides a week-long trip to to one German and European location. Past locations have included Poland, Austria and the Czech Reupublic and vary from year to year.
- Public Transportation Pass tied with your FU-Best student ID card
- Housing sponsored by the FU-BEST Program allows students to choose either living in a homestay that includes breakfast and dinner OR living in a fully-furnished, single occupancy, studio apartment.
- If you choose the apartment option, you are required to submit credit card information for the security deposit. Apartments are located about 45 minutes via public transit to the program site in Lankwitz. Internet is available via Ethernet cable and students must provide their own cord.
- Homestay option may have a commute of up to one hour.
- Once your housing selection is made on the application, no changes will be allowed, unless there are exceptional circumstances and FU-BEST will review each case and make a determination whether to grant the request or not.
- Read the link carefully on accommodations: http://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/fubest/accomm/index.html
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the Federal Work-Study Program.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition at Loyola, junior housing at Loyola, and a reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola, plus a program fee.
- Students must pay an application fee to FU-BEST (non-refundable) to apply and submit a study abroad deposit to Loyola to hold their place in the program after being accepted.
- Accepted students must pay a $500 non-refundable deposit to Loyola to hold their spot in the program. The money is then transferred to FU-BEST.
- Non-EU students will need to purchase a German residency permit and photos when abroad.
Please see the working list of the course equivalencies for the Loyola-FU-BEST Program at the top of the page.
Please be advised: The course approvals and equivalencies provided are the most current we have. Once accepted into a study abroad program, students will have an academic interview with the program coordinator and will be advised on potential course offerings.
Apply to this Program