Loyola University Maryland only accepts exchange students from its exchange partner institutions. If you are a student at one of those universities, please contact your International Office to find out if you are eligible to apply for exchange with Loyola. Once you have been accepted to the exchange through your institution, then you can begin the application process with Loyola. The exchange coordinator at your university will work with you to complete this process.
- Fall semester (late August through mid-December) and year: April 1
- Spring semester (early January – mid-May): October 1
You must submit the following documents (typically to your exchange coordinator who will forward them to our office) in hard copy:
- Loyola Application: Completed and signed Visiting and Special Student Application for admission.
- Exchange Student Registration Form: Completed Registration Form with attached photo and course selection. (Please refer to the Academics portion of this website for complete instructions on course selection). Include a completed copy of the Block Schedule to help you plan with course meeting dates and times.
- Copy of Passport: Include a copy of the biographical page of your passport only. This is the page that includes your photo, name, date of birth, country of citizenship and nationality and the expiration date.
- Affidavit of Financial Support for Immigration purposes (the amount given is specifically for one-to-one exchanges please ask your international office if your university has a different exchange agreement.
- if the student is relying on personal funds for his/her stay, the student must complete the Affidavit of Financial Self Support Form stating he/she is able to financially support themselves and that he/she has sufficient funds (equivalent to $10,140 US dollars or higher per semester) to cover the student’s stay in the United States.
- if the student is relying on other funds (ex. funds from parents, other family member, sponsor, etc.) for his/her stay, the sponsor must complete the Affidavit of Financial Support Form stating that they are willing to financially support the student and that they have sufficient funds (equivalent to $10,140 US dollars or higher per semester) to cover the student’s stay in the United States, or
- Original Bank Statement:
- if the student is relying on their parents’ funds for his/her stay, the parents must provide an original bank statement from the parents’ bank on bank stationary with contact information and signed by a bank official, stating that they have sufficient funds (equivalent to $10,140 US dollars or higher per semester) to cover the student’s stay in the United States, or
- if the student is relying on personal funds for his/her stay, the student must provide an original bank statement, on bank stationary with contact information and signed by a bank official, stating that he/she has sufficient funds (equivalent to $10,140 US dollars or higher per semester) to cover the student’s stay in the United States.
- Official Transcript: Official transcript, or course history signed by home university. Transcripts must be provided in English or with English translation.
- Statement From Home University: Statement from home university stating that the applicant is in good academic standing and has been granted permission to take classes at Loyola University Maryland and tuition has been paid to the home university.
- Health Insurance Acceptance/Waiver Form: Completed Health Insurance Acceptance/Waiver Form. If Loyola’s health insurance is not purchased proof of coverage is required, including copy of front and back of insurance card and proof of overseas coverage, in English.
- Health Form & Immunization Record: Completed Health Form and Immunization Record signed by both doctor and student. The student’s healthcare provider/physician must provide accurate and legible information on the form prior to the student’s arrival at Loyola. If the student’s immunizations are not up-to-date, the student will have to receive updated immunizations in the United States for a fee. Please read the Immunizations at Loyola handout for a list of required immunizations.
- Proof of English Proficiency: TOEFL test results of 213 or higher on the computer-based test or a letter from the home university stating the student’s competency in the English language.
- Travel Itinerary Form: Student must submit completed Travel Itinerary Form by three weeks prior to their arrival on campus, even if they are not requesting Loyola transportation from BWI Airport or Baltimore Penn Train Station.
- Checklist: Please download and use the Exchange Student Application Checklist to ensure you have completed all documentation. Your exchange program administrator must sign this completed checklist before you submit your application.
In order to be admitted as a visiting (exchange) student, all documents must be received by April 1st for the fall semester and October 1st for the spring semester. Everything listed above (except for the Travel Itinerary Form) must be received before Loyola University Maryland can issue the Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Visa). Once the student has been admitted by Loyola, Ms. Sunanda Bhatia, Director of International Student Services, will review the documents and then Ms. Sunanda Bhatia, Director of International Student Services, will issue a Form I-20 to the student. If you have additional questions, you may contact Ms. Bhatia at 1-410-617-2910 or email@example.com.
Please submit all documents by the designated deadline date to:
Office of International Programs
Loyola University Maryland, HU 141
4501 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210 USA