The city of Alcalá de Henares is located 30 km northeast of Madrid on the Castilian Plateau. It is best known as the birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes, author of the celebrated Don Quixote. The Universidad de Alcala de Henares is considered one of the three best universities in Spain. Ignatius of Loyola studied at this university.
Loyola offers two program options for our students through the Universidad de Alcala de Henares: a fall semester program, and a spring semester program. The fall semester program is open to Spanish majors and minors only, while the spring semester program is available to non-Spanish majors/minors.
Criteria for Acceptance
- Open to students with a cumulative average of 2.75 or above.
- The fall program in Alcala is designed specifically for Spanish majors and minors. Because of this, Spanish majors and minors must apply for the fall semester in Alcala. All other majors/minors must apply for the spring semester.
- Spanish majors and minors must have completed SN 201 (Spanish Conversation and Composition) prior to their semester abroad.
- Students must be able to find courses which fit their Loyola program and allow full-time participation, and cannot be on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems.
Consult the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola, so that you are prepared for Alcalá.
- This program is designed to accommodate Spanish majors and minors. All courses are offered in Spanish. Please keep in mind that all Spanish majors and minors will need to take at least one additional Spanish course upon their return.
- For more information please click here: http://www.alcalinguaweb.com/
- This program is designed to accommodate mostly business students (however others may apply). Most courses are offered in English. Students must take at least one Spanish course.
- For more information please click here: http://www.ciff.net/
Length of Stay
- This program is offered for one-semester only: fall or spring
- The one-semester term will be from September to December or from January until mid-May.
- Students going to Alcala will live in a homestay. Families for the homestays are selected by the University of Alcalá, and 2 meals per day are included as part of the homestay program.
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid except the Federal Work Study Program. Students studying abroad for either a semester or full academic year will forfeit the value of a Federal Work-Study assignment.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition, room charge (Ahern) and a reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola, plus a program fee.
- There is a homestay fee, which is subject to change.
- Loyola financial aid applies.
This is a fully packaged program with:
- Tuition and housing;
- A full-time onsite program director;
- University medical fees;
- Cultural excursions and special meals in Spain;
- Evacuation insurance coverage;
- Home stays include 2 meals per day; and
- Group service project in Spanish School for fall program.
**Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.
- Completed online application form and Course planning form must be submitted by December 3 (Wednesday after Thanksgiving) for the fall or spring.
- Please note: 20 students are accepted for the fall semester and 30 for the spring.