Apply to this Program
La Trobe is one of a small number of Australian universities to be ranked in the top 500 universities of the world consistently since 2003. It is a state based university known for its strong academic reputation in the Humanities and the Sciences. La Trobe has over 33,000 students across seven campuses including 8,600 international students from over 100 countries. The university's mission seeks to "join social engagement and the pursuit of academic excellence."
The city of Melbourne is the "cultural and intellectual hub of Australia" and is consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in the world.
Criteria for Acceptance
- You must have a 2.8 cumulative average to apply to this program.
- Students must be able to find courses which fit their Loyola program and allow full-time participation;
- Students who are neither on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems should apply;
- Attend an information session on Melbourne;
- Attend registration sessions to determine if your degree program matches the courses offered abroad;
- Discuss with your major advisor the possible courses you could take abroad and see if there are any potential problems he/she sees with your plans to study in Melbourne;
- Academic reviews will be based on current course offerings;
- Registration will take place abroad and the course offerings for the term you will be abroad will be finalized overseas;
- Save as many electives for abroad to help with potential registration problems; and
- Discuss with your family if taking a summer course(s) is an option to help with any unexpected academic problems that could occur at Loyola or abroad.
- Consult your academic advisor and the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola so that you are prepared for La Trobe.
- Nearly all majors are served.
- No Theology courses available
- Students take four 4-credit courses; they must have one free elective available to get credit for a fifth course on their degree audit.
Disclaimer: In case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester Loyola University will work with the host university abroad to provide additional support or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulations of the host university and the laws of the host country. Loyola University Maryland will not makes any changes to its course, grade, or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.
Length of Stay
- This is a one-semester program conducted in the fall and in the spring
- The fall program starts in early July and ends in mid- November. The spring semester runs from mid-February to late June.
- There is one residence hall occupied by Loyola students, other internationals, and Australians. All bedrooms are singles; bathrooms, kitchens, and common rooms are shared; laundry services are provided for bed linens.
- Loyola pays the security deposit on behalf of each student. Any charges incurred while abroad will be charged to the student's Loyola account upon return.
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the federal work-study program. Students studying abroad will forfeit the value of a Federal Work-Study assignment.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition fees and room charge paid to Loyola, plus a program fee.
- Loyola financial aid applies.
- Visa is responsibility of student(535AUD)
- Supplemental Airline fee of 550USD
- Group airline tickets booked
- Two trips included (Great Ocean Road and Philip Island)
- Public transit pass included
- Gym membership
- Australian Student Health Plan
- Completed online application form and a course planning form must be submitted by the Wednesday after Thanksgiving for the Fall or Spring term.
**Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.
Apply to this Program