This fall or spring program at the University of Auckland will work for most majors. Students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA to be considered (2.8 GPA would be considered on a case by case basis). The city of Auckland, located on the northern island, has 1.4 million residents. The university, ranked best in New Zealand and among the top 50 universities of the world, has 40,000 students.
Auckland, known as the City of Sails, is located on the Hauraki Gulf. It has quite a small city feel, and is very clean and lovely. It is mainly a walking city, but there is a good bus system that makes getting around even easier. Despite the small feel, it is still the largest city in New Zealand. If you enjoy outdoor activities, New Zealand is arguably one of the best places to visit in the world. The two small islands that comprise the country have everything from beaches to glaciers. All imaginable outdoor activities are at your fingertips.
Criteria for Acceptance
- Typically sophomores with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 may apply.
- Students who can find courses which fit their Loyola program and allow full-time participation.
- Must not be on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems.
- Consult the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola so that you are prepared for Auckland. Registration advising sessions are offered by our office prior to each registration day.
- Nearly all majors are served.
- Students take four 4-credit courses; they must have one free elective available to get credit for a fifth course on their degree audit.
Length of Stay
- This is a one-semester program for the fall or the spring semester
- The fall program runs from early July through mid-November. The spring program runs from mid-February through the end of June.
- Loyola students will live in campus housing.
- Students are divided among residences including Unilodge and Carlaw Park.
- Students live in single bedrooms within shared apartment-style suites. Bathrooms, living rooms, and kitchens are all shared. All units are co-ed.
- There are some Kiwi residents mixed into the mainly international population in the dorms.
- Dorms are 10-15 minute walking distance from the main campus.
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the Federal Work-Study Program.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition at Loyola, junior housing at Loyola, and a reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola, plus a program fee.
- Completed online application form and a Course planning form must be submitted by December 3 (Wednesday after Thanksgiving) for the fall or spring.
**Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.
Auckland Student Ambassadors
Please refer to the Study Abroad Ambassadors page, a group of students trained and happy to help students throughout the entire study abroad process.
Download a copy >>
This is a working list of the course equivalencies for the Auckland, New Zealand Program.
The course approvals and equivalencies provided are the most current for the Office of International Programs. Once accepted to a study abroad program, students will have an academic interview with the appropriate director and will be advised on their course selection.
Please be advised: All students are solely responsible for informing themselves about the status of these courses. Course approvals and equivalencies may change at a moment's notice. This means you should confirm with your study abroad program coordinator if the following courses are approved, or if the courses have been removed.
If there are other courses you desire to take, and they are not on the course equivalency list, you must get written course approval by the department chair. The courses that you choose should fit into your degree audit and enable you to graduate on time.