Contact: Naomi Githae
School: Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
Visit the Photo Gallery
Founded in 1867, the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (AUAS) offers a wide variety of courses in business, economics and related disciplines. AUAS is a school with more than 5,500 students, which makes it one of the largest of its kind in the Netherlands. The school is situated outside the center of Amsterdam. Amsterdam is Holland’s cosmopolitan capital, with 736,000 inhabitants, and is the center of culture and entertainment. It is a bustling city with plenty of character. Amsterdam is home to wonderful history, museums, art and music. An excellent and extensive public transportation system puts it all within reach. Seldom mentioned is the city's charm with its rowhouses, canals, houseboats, and abundant bicycles.
Criteria for Acceptance
- Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above may apply.
- Students must find courses which fit their Loyola academic program and allow full-time enrollment.
- Students must not be on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems.
- Consult the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selection at Loyola so that you are prepared for Amsterdam.
- This exchange program is designed for business majors or minors. The exchange is best suited for marketing, management, international business, and finance majors.
- All courses will be taught in English.
- All students must take an introductory Dutch course.
- Accounting majors should not take ethics in Amsterdam.
Length of Stay
This exchange program runs for the spring semester (late January to early July). Students may only study in Amsterdam for one semester.
AUAS guarantees housing facilities in Amsterdam to its international students. There is no campus facility, but AUAS has a relationship with a housing company in Amsterdam that offers one and two-bedroom apartments in two adjacent apartment buildings in the city. Students get private bedrooms.
The majority of the AUAS exchange students live in Fraijlemaborg Student Resident Hall is located in Amsterdam Zuid-Oost (South East). Housing can be guaranteed if deadlines are met, but not all request for single dormitories can be assured
Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the Federal Work-Study Program. Students studying abroad for a semester will forfeit the value of a Federal Work-Study assignment.
Tuition is paid to Loyola. Housing is paid to De Key, the housing company in the Netherlands used by AUAS. Students are responsible for all other expenses such as airfare, personal travel and meals.
- Living with other international students
- Orientation in Amsterdam
- Independent study abroad experience
- Completed online application form and an academic advisor acknowledgement form must be submitted by December 4, 2013 (Wednesday after Thanksgiving break) for the fall or spring semester.
- Advisor's signature is required.