Welcome to The Beijing Center—Loyola's study abroad program in China, which is a consortium of Jesuit universities and is coordinated through Loyola University Chicago. The Beijing Center is housed at the University of International Business and Economics in Beijing, China. Beijing itself serves as headquarters for many of China’s largest firms and nearly 500 American companies or joint ventures.
Criteria for Acceptance and How to Apply
- Sophomores with a cumulative GPA average of 2.8 or better should apply.
- Students who can find courses which fit their Loyola rogram and allow full-time participation and who are neither on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems should apply.
- Students must submit an application with advisor's signature by December 3 (Wednesday after Thanksgiving) for fall, spring, or year-long applicants.
Academics and Housing
- Available classes include: biology, business, communications, economics, English core and English major, ethics core, history core and history major, Chinese language, philosophy core, political science, sociology, theology core, writing.
- All courses except Chinese language are taught in English.
- A Chinese language course is required of all students except those who can demonstrate fluency in Chinese.
- Students are housed at the university in dorms. There is a Jesuit-in-Residence.
- Rooms are double occupancy although requests may be made for a single room for an additional fee.
- Students who take the intensive language track are eligible to live with a Chinese roommate.
Costs and Program Benefits**
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the federal work-study program. Students studying abroad for a semester or full academic year will forfeit the value of a federal work-study assignment.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition, room charge (Ahern), and a reduced comprehensive fee, plus a program fee.
- All Loyola financial aid applies.
- The Beijing Center provides three full weeks of travel through China each semester. Details on all excursions can be found here.
- Scholarships for Study Abroad in China
The program ambassadors are students who studied abroad in Beijing last year. They are ready to be contacted with program-specific questions via email.
**Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.