Barcelona is a most dynamic Spanish Catalan city on the shores of the Mediterranean. It is world famous for its thriving economic center and also for its intense cultural and artistic life. IQS is a Jesuit business school and Chemistry Institute that is part of the Universitat Ramon Llull. Located in a beautiful residential neighborhood overlooking the city and the sea, IQS is easily accessible by bus and subway. Students may live in residences and apartments within walking distance from IQS.
Criteria For Acceptance
- Typically sophomores and juniors with a cumulative average of 3.0 but;
- Students with a 2.75 average should apply;
- Business students with a Spanish minors or major or business students who are willing to take at least two courses in Spanish (Language and/or business courses); and
- Students who can find courses which fit their Loyola academic program and allow for full time participation and who are neither on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems should apply.
- A required 3-credit Intensive Spanish course taught at a Spanish Language Institute (CIC) located near IQS (Spanish 200 level)
Then students choose courses, in English (EN) or in Spanish (SN) from the following list:
- IB470 (EN)
- Finance Elective (EN)
- MG403 (EN)
- MK Elective (EN)
- MG Elective, 2 options (EN)
- General Business Elective (EN)
- Another Spanish 200 level course (SN)
- Second Theology core (SN)
- Second Business Ethics core (SN)
- IB282 (SN)
- MG201 (SN)
- General Business Elective (SN)
Length of Stay
This is a fall and spring semester program running from September to December and mid-January (beginning of the Intensive Spanish course) through the mid June respectively. Students will have a vacation during Easter week during Spring Semeseter.
Student Residences in the city or near campus (most of them within walking distance—see 2 examples below):
Privately owned Student residences (see links below):
Cost (Exchange Program)
Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional, and private sources of aid except for the Federal Work Study Program. Tuition is paid to Loyola. Housing is paid by the student, in Barcelona. Students will be responsible for all other expenses such as airfare and personal trips.
- 15 to 18 credits of course work
- Intensive Spanish review (Mid-January to mid-February)
- A support coordinator
An application and essay must be submitted by December 1st. Applications must include an advisor's signature.
For additional information pertaining to passports, visas, meals, safety, insurance, banking, academics, etc. come to an information session, or call 410-617-2910.
Information, dates and fees are subject to change without notification. Study abroad programs that are supported by the Office of International Programs can satisfy the Sellinger School of Business experiential learning requirement.