Please Note: This program is available to students through the spring semester 2014. After that, Loyola students who study abroad in Melbourne will attend La Trobe University (starting fall 2014 semester).
Monash is one of Australia’s largest universities. Within Australia’s 40 universities, it is ranked among the "elite eight," and it is ranked within the top 50 universities in the world.
Students attend classes at the Clayton campus, about 35 minutes from downtown Melbourne. The city of Melbourne is the "cultural and intellectual hub of Australia, a city where painting, sculpture, theatre, ballet, and opera thrive." It was recently selected as one of the world’s most livable cities.
Criteria for Acceptance
- You must have a 3.0 cumulative average to apply to this program.
- Students must be able to find courses which fit their Loyola program and allow full-time participation.
- Students who are neither on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems should apply.
- Consult your academic advisor and the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola so that you are prepared for Monash.
- Nearly all majors are served.
Length of Stay
- This is a one-semester program conducted in the fall and in the spring.
- The fall program starts in early July and ends in late November. The spring semester runs from mid-February to mid-June.
- There are five residence halls occupied by Loyola students, other internationals, and Australians. All bedrooms are singles, bathrooms, kitchens, and common rooms are shared; laundry services are free.
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the federal work-study program. Students studying abroad will forfeit the value of a Federal Work-Study assignment.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition, room charge (Ahern), and reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola, plus a program fee.
- Loyola financial aid applies.
This is a fully packaged program with:
- Tuition, room and board;
- Emergency Travel Assistance and evacuation insurance;
- University medical insurance;
- Transportation passes;
- Cultural trips and orientation; and
- Gym membership.
- Completed online application form and an academic advisor acknowledgement form must be submitted by December 3 (Wednesday after Thanksgiving) for the fall or spring.
- No more than 30 students will be accepted each semester.
Download a copy >>
This is a working list of the course equivalencies for the Melbourne, Australia program.
The course approvals and equivalencies provided are the most current for the Office of International Programs. Once accepted to a study abroad program, students will have an academic interview with the appropriate director and will be advised on their course selection.
Please be advised: All students are solely responsible for informing themselves about the status of these courses. Course approvals and equivalencies may change at a moment's notice. This means you should confirm if the following courses are approved, or if the courses have been removed.
If there are other courses you desire to take, and they are not on the course equivalency list; you must get written course approval by the department chair. The courses that you choose should fit into your degree audit and enable you to graduate on time.
**Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.