Messina is the First-Year Program that serves as the foundation of a first-year student’s journey at Loyola University Maryland – enriched both by small, seminar-style classes and by experiences that transcend the four walls of a classroom. With the guidance and support of experienced faculty, administrators and fellow students, Messina prepares students to embrace their role as active participants in the Loyola community.
The Creative Assistant work study positions play a crucial role in the marketing and communication of Messina programming and events. The positions are designed to provide students with practical work experience within the communication and graphic design fields and regular professional development opportunities. Messina is seeking hard working, creative, energetic students for the 2016 – 2017 academic year. All applicants must be eligible for and meet the requirements of Federal Work Study. This position is open to all class years, including incoming first-year students.
Primary Goals of the Creative Assistants are:
• Actively participate in the enhancement of the office’s marketing and media plan by contributing innovative ideas and opportunities to connect more effectively with the first-year student community.
• Generate, revise, and further enhance publicity materials through print and digital/social media.
• This position serves as an opportunity to build a portfolio/resume and receive transferrable work experience by creating materials and supporting programming for Messina, a nationally recognized first-year program.
• A supportive work study experience with an hourly wage of $8.75 that provides the opportunity to collaborate with a wide range of campus departments, organizations, and partners.
Strong Creative Assistant applicants should:
• Have a background in one or more of the following fields: Advertising, Public Relations, Communications, Social Media, Journalism, Digital Media, Writing, Business, or Marketing (Not required).
• Have working command of Photoshop and/or Illustrator (Required for Print and Media Specialist position; Preferred for Marketing and Communication Specialist position).
• Experience in other Adobe Creative Suite and movie editing platforms is beneficial to the role (Not required).
• Expect to apply their talents to the following areas: graphic design, page layouts, branding, 2D print media, digital/social media, advertisements, copy editing, writing, and creative marketing solutions.
• Ability and interest in sharing about the Messina student experience.
• Have strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Be able to work in a team setting.
• Pay great attention to detail and utilize analytical critical thinking skills.
• Be able to juggle multiple projects while prioritizing and completing them in a timely manner.
• Work 10-15 hours per week (work study position).
• Maintain cooperation with fellow Creative Assistant and Messina professional staff through open and constant communication about projects.
• Maintain two-way communication with staff members requesting projects.
• Assess program and event marketing for effectiveness and appeal of audience.
• Keep communication with other campus media groups including but not limited to the Greyhound, WLOY, GreyComm, and Loyola Today.
• Engage in professional development opportunities provided by Messina and/or Loyola University Maryland.
• Table in Boulder and on the quad to promote and advertise upcoming Messina programs and events.
• Attend and work a minimum of three Messina weeknight or weekend events per semester (Theme-wide programs, co-sponsored events, Loyola Open Houses, etc.).
• Attend bi-weekly meetings with Messina Program Coordinators and the Creative Assistant team.
• Other duties as assigned including answering the phone, greeting visitors, and other clerical office operations.
Creative Assistant Position-Specific Responsibilities
Although specialization opportunities exist for Print and Social Media and Marketing and Communication, every Creative Assistant should understand that they may be asked to perform tasks outside their concentration as needed.
Print and Social Media Specialist (1 position)
• Create and design print media needs for office events and programming including but not limited to posters, flyers, postcards, digital signage, and invitations.
• Generate content for the office’s social media outlets and promotion on Twitter and Instagram using HootSuite, an online social media management tool.
• Manage daily social media activities, including posting on all the sites above, foster follower engagement through conversation replies, and monitor related activity to ensure compliance with relevant Messina and Loyola University Maryland mission and values.
• Recommend and implement strategies for recruiting new followers and members via social media.
• Work closely and communicate with the other Creative Assistant team member to ensure that social media activities are integrated into overall publicity strategies for projects.
• Report to supervisors about social media successes, issues, and lessons learned.
Apply to Be a Creative Assistant!
Please make sure to review the Creative Assistant qualifications, requirements, and responsibilities before submitting your application. To apply for one of the Creative Assistant positions, applicants MUST:
• Complete and submit an online application using the link below.
• Submit a resume.
• Submit at least one creative sample (graphic design, writing sample, or online portfolio link) via the online application. If you do not have one of these items please contact Pat Cassidy (firstname.lastname@example.org) for another option. You may submit more than one of these items if you would like, but it is not required.
2016 - 2017 Creative Assistant Application
For additional information regarding the Creative Assistant application process, please contact Pat Cassidy at email@example.com or 410-617-1188.