Messina is the First-Year Program that serves as the foundation of a first-year student’s journey at Loyola University Maryland – enriched both by small, seminar-style classes and by experiences that transcend the four walls of a classroom. With the guidance and support of experienced faculty, administrators and fellow students, Messina prepares students to embrace their role as active participants in the Loyola community.
The Creative Assistant for Marketing and Communication work study positions play a crucial role in the marketing and communication of Messina programming and events. The positions are designed to provide students with practical work experience within the communication and graphic design fields and regular professional development opportunities. Messina is seeking hard working, creative, energetic students for the 2017 – 2018 academic year. All applicants must be eligible for and meet the requirements of Federal Work Study. This position is open to all class years, including incoming first-year students.
Primary Goals of the Creative Assistant for Marketing and Communication are:
• Actively participate in the enhancement of the office’s marketing and media plan by contributing innovative ideas and opportunities to connect more effectively with the first-year student community.
• Generate, revise, and further enhance publicity materials through print and digital/social media.
• This position serves as an opportunity to build a portfolio/resume and receive transferrable work experience by creating materials and supporting programming for Messina, a nationally recognized first-year program.
• A supportive work study experience with an hourly wage that provides the opportunity to collaborate with a wide range of campus departments, organizations, and partners.
Strong Creative Assistant applicants should:
• Have a background in one or more of the following fields: Advertising, Public Relations, Communications, Social Media, Journalism, Digital Media, Writing, Business, or Marketing (Preferred, not required).
• Have working command of Word Press, Illustrator, Photoshop.
• Experience in other Adobe Creative Suite and movie editing platforms is beneficial to the role (Not required).
• Expect to apply their talents to the following areas: graphic design, page layouts, branding, 2D print media, digital/social media, advertisements, copy editing, writing, and creative marketing solutions.
• Ability and interest in sharing about the Messina student experience.
• Have strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Be able to work in a team setting.
• Pay great attention to detail and utilize analytical critical thinking skills.
• Be able to work independently, juggling multiple projects while prioritizing and completing them by their deadlines.
• Be receptive to critiques and edit requests on creative work.
• Work 10-15 hours per week.
• Generate written content for the Messina blog (1-2 posts per week), and print advertisements about elements of the Messina experience, including but not limited to student narratives, professor or class profiles, and event summaries.
• Initiate connections with students, staff and faculty to conduct interviews and create content for publishing.
• Develop creative strategies and ideas to tell the story of Messina at Loyola for internal and external audiences (i.e. Loyola campus community, prospective students and families, etc.).
• Create a monthly calendar of campus events to be displayed in Messina residence halls.
• Work closely and communicate with the other Creative Assistant team member to ensure that social media activities are integrated into overall publicity strategies for projects.
• Maintain cooperation with fellow Creative Assistant and professional staff through open and constant communication about projects.
• Assess effectiveness of marketing strategies and make adjustments accordingly.
• Communicate with other campus media groups including but not limited to the Greyhound, WLOY, GreyComm, and Loyola Today.
• Promote Messina and advertise upcoming programs and events in various ways, including representing Messina at tables in Boulder and on the Quad.
• Represent Messina and work campus events on weeknight and/or weekend events.
• Attend weekly meetings with Messina Student Success Specialists and the Creative Assistant team.
• Engage in professional development opportunities provided by Messina and/or Loyola University Maryland.
• Other duties as assigned including answering the phone, greeting visitors, and other clerical office operations.
Apply to Be a Messina Creative Assistant!
Please make sure to review the Creative Assistant qualifications, requirements, and responsibilities before submitting your application. To apply for this position, applicants MUST:
• Complete and submit an online application using the link below.
• Submit a resume.
• Submit at least one creative sample (writing sample, or online portfolio link) via the online application. If you do not have one of these items please contact Teresa Heath (email@example.com) for another option. You may submit more than one of these items if you would like, but it is not required.
2017 - 2018 Creative Assistant Application
For additional information regarding the Creative Assistant application process, please contact Teresa Heath at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-617-1190.