Loyola University Maryland

Public Safety

About Sexual Assault

image divider

Loyola strives to create a safe educational and working environment for all the members of the Loyola community including students, faculty, administrators, and staff. Violence of any kind and specifically, sexual assault, will not be tolerated. Loyola complies with all local, state, and federal laws governing rape and sexual assault.

Any member of the Loyola community who believes that he or she is a victim of a sexual assault that occurred on University property, at a University sponsored event, or perpetrated by a member of the Loyola community should report the incident to campus police or a member of the student life staff. The individual will be asked to give a statement to the investigating campus police officer and an assistant director of student life at that time. Statements will serve as the basis for further investigation of any case and any resulting judicial charges.

The University encourages any victim of sexual assault to report the incident to the appropriate police agency in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred. As in any crime, the crime scene should be protected and preserved. Victims and those who assist them are encouraged to protect evidence by not disturbing the scene or destroying possible evidence. Public safety will assure that the victim is assisted in contacting the appropriate law enforcement officials. Victims of sexual assault will be provided transportation by the University to the appropriate rape treatment center. In Baltimore City, Mercy Hospital is the designated treatment center at 301 St. Paul Place (410-332-9000). If a student is the victim of a sexual assault, she or he may file charges with the University judicial system as well as criminal charges. Consult the handbook of Community Standards.

If the victim of a sexual assault and/or other crimes against a person chooses not to report it through the formal process, the victim is encouraged to seek counseling through the University's Counseling Center, available 24-hours a day, by calling campus police at 410-617-5010 or through the graduate resident coordinator of their respective residential hall. Counseling off campus can be arranged by contacting Turn Around at 410-837-7000. Or the Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Center at 410-337-8111.

A student who is the victim of a sexual assault may request for a transfer to alternative classes or housing. The University will accommodate the request if such classes and housing are reasonably available.

Beware of New Date Rape Drug

Distribution and use of a powerful drug that can cause memory loss is increasing in the United States. Known as the date-rape drug, flunitrazepam, sold under the brand name Rohypnol (ro-hip'-nol, sometimes mispronounced rufinol), is tasteless, odorless and colorless and quickly dissolves in liquids. "Roofies," which are 10 times more potent than valium, cause amnesia that typically lasts for 8-24 hours, depending on dosage. The drug takes effect within 30 minutes; the full impact usually hits in about an hour. The pills are cheap (under $5) and impossible to trace in the human body.

According to information from the Women's Network at Indiana University, this new "designer drug" is dropped into the drinks of unsuspecting women and allows the woman to be raped without any problems because she is unable to fight the rapist.

Rohypnol is manufactured throughout the world, particularly in Europe and Latin America, where it is legally prescribed for short-term treatment of insomnia and as a sedative and preanesthetic. It has not been approved for distribution in the United States; supplies are most often smuggled into this country from Mexico or Colombia.

There is some evidence that Rohypnol use is increasing in clubs and on campuses throughout the country. Members of the Loyola community, particularly women, should be aware of the presence and the potential dangers of this potent, illegal drug, It is unfortunate but true that you have to be very careful in places where alcohol is present. Don't leave your drink unattended, don't accept drinks from strangers and, if you feel uncomfortable in a situation, get out, preferably with a friend. If you have any indication that you have been victimized by the use of Rohypnol, call campus police (ext. 5010), Health Services (ext. 5055), the student life office (ext. 2488) or student development and counseling (ext. 5109).