The mission of the Division of Student Development reflects the Jesuit Catholic nature and Core Values of Loyola College in Maryland. Work in student development is grounded in the distinctive worldview of the Jesuit and Mercy traditions and the spiritual vision of St. Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuit order. Accordingly, student development professionals seek to inspire students to learn, lead and serve in a diverse and changing world. Through programs, policies and personal interactions, students are encouraged to engage in the collegiate experience, both in and out of class, and the development of the Loyola community. In order to enhance and maximize student learning and development, the Division of Student Development is committed to creating a campus culture that is educational, student-centered, disciplined, caring, just and collaborative.
The Ignatian worldview provides a context for the work we do in Student Development and is characterized by the following ideas:
- An openness and enthusiasm toward the whole of God’s richly diverse creation.
- An understanding that God’s plan and purpose are present in all human endeavors and in all things.
- An appreciation of the fact that God has given each of us unique gifts and talents and that we are called to use them to help others, especially those who are in the greatest need.
- A recognition that we are called to develop the ability to know ourselves and discern, through critical attention to our motivations and choices, the ways in which God acts in our lives.
- A commitment to a life of growing integrity and increasing service to God and others.
The Student Development Division is committed to creating a campus culture that enhances student learning and development and is characterized by the following:
- An educationally purposeful community where student learning and all facets of a student’s development (mind, body and spirit) are the focus of our work.
- A student centered community that endeavors to hear what students have to say and empowers them to make a difference at Loyola and beyond.
- A disciplined community characterized by honesty and integrity in our interactions with one another and committed to moral and ethical decision-making.
- A caring community concerned with the welfare of each person and dedicated to upholding the dignity of all members in the community by showing respect and civility in all our interactions.
- A just community that honors all persons, actively encourages and celebrates diversity in all forms, and recognizes that each member shares responsibility for the welfare of the whole community.
- A celebrative community that joins together to observe shared traditions that are special to the Loyola community.