Loyola University Maryland

Student Life

Frequently Asked Questions

Room Selection

When do I sign up for housing/roommate preferences?

Freshmand and transfer students will attend a session at summer orientation where they will have the opportunity to request housing and roommates.

My parents/guardians want to know if they will have the chance to learn about housing during my summer orientation...will they have that opportunity?

Yes, the Student Life Office will have sessions both with the parents and with the students to answer questions about our office and the housing process. We will also have representatives present at the information fair during the second day of orientation, and will answer questions by phone or email during regular business hours (8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Feel free to contact our office at 410-617-5081 if you have any questions. If it is not during business hours, please leave us a message and we will try to get in touch with you as soon as possible.

When will I find out where I am living?

Shortly after the final orientation session, the housing assignments will be determined. We will then send you a letter via email with your housing assignment and roommate information so that you may contact your roommate to prepare for the upcoming school year. You should receive all of this information by early August.

What to do if you have roommate problems?

Contact your RA, Graduate Residence Coordinator (GRC) or the Assistant Director of Student Life are the best contact to help resolve roommate problems. Contact them before a small issue leads to a bigger one.

What if I need housing accommodations?

If you require housing accommodations because of a disability please let us know. You should also make sure you are registered with Disability Support Services and please visit www.loyola.edu/dss for more information.

Top of the page

Residence Hall

Who do I call if I am locked out of my room?

Between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday, go to the Student Life Office in Seton Court 08B.  after 5 p.m. contact your RA or campus police at (410) 617 - 5010.

Who do I call if my computer/cable doesn't work?

Contact the technology services help desk at ext. 5555.

Who do I call if something else in my room doesn't work?

If you have maintenance concerns, call Facilities at ext. 2200.

What furniture is provided for me?

All students will have a bed, dresser, wardrobe or closet, and desk with desk chair.

What size sheets are needed for the beds?

The beds are extra long and therefore need extra long (80") sheets for a twin bed. You will receive information from the Loyola University Maryland Residence Hall Association. You can order sheets from them or purchase sheets from department stores, etc.

I will be living in a double, do I need to bring a fridge?

You may want to bring a small fridge with you for your room. You can also rent a fridge for the year through MyFridgeRental.com.

My roommate and I both have computers, are we both able to bring them?

Yes, there is an internet connection available for every resident in the room as well as wireless access across campus. To access the internet, make sure that your computer has an ethernet card or a wireless card so that you will be able to access our network. If you have specific computer questions, please contact the technology services office at 410-617-5555.

Is it true that Student Life does room inspections?

Yes, scheduled and unscheduled room inspections are done to assure the health and safety of our residents. For this reason, students are to bring along their own cleaning supplies and are responsible to maintain a clean room/apartment.

What items should I bring for my room?

While it depends on your needs as a student, this list of items may help you get started. It is important to note that for safety reasons Loyola does prohibit some items, so please make sure you do not bring these items with you.

Top of the page

Incoming Students

What do I do first?

Make sure your housing deposit is in on-time. It will not be accepted late. Those students who miss the deposit deadline will have to go on the Housing Wait List.

Why can’t my housing deposit be late?

The process is based upon the number of students who have indicated with their housing deposit that they will be living on-campus. This number is determined immediately after the deadline and is then used to plan for the number of people who will participate in the process and who need to be housed. Late deposits adjust that number and potentially remove housing from other people.

When does the process begin?

The online process begins for rising juniors and seniors in March. The in-person online process begins for rising sophomores in early April.

What does “online” or “in-person online” mean?

For our rising juniors and seniors who have participated in room selection, you will be able to select your room from the privacy and comfort of your own room or of the most convenient computer lab. For our rising sophomore, you will need to attend room selection “in-person” and with our friendly, helpful staff to assist you, select your room from the Newman computer lab.

How do I know when to select my room?

Students will receive an email with the date and time when they can select their room. In roommate groups, the student with the earliest date and time will select.

How can I find a roommate?

The ever-popular roommate social is back again but better than ever and will be held in the spring. The roommate ads will then be available on blackboard.

Now that I’ve found my roommates – what do we do now?

You will need to register your roommate group by early spring. Forms must be submitted in person to the Student Life Office, Seton Court 08B. Once registered, only one person needs to participate in the room selection. All of the other roommates will receive an email directing them to confirm the completed selection process.

How do I know where I want to live?

We will be holding residence hall tours so that you can view the room types available.

What if I have more questions?

You can call the student life office at 410-617-5081 or email us at roomrez@loyola.edu.

Top of the page

Student Conduct

How do I prepare for my educational conference/administrative hearing/peer conduct board hearing?

Read the Student Conduct Process Guide and incident report documents before your scheduled meeting so you are prepared to discuss the reported information.  Additionally, read the definition(s) for the alleged policy violation(s) with which you are charged, and any standard sanction(s) included with the policy.  Preparing a statement to read aloud during your meeting is also encouraged to ensure you do not forget any points you wish to state.  Lastly, taking time to reflect on the incident and what you learned from the situation is beneficial as you may be asked to discuss this topic during your meeting. 

 What happens if I cannot attend my scheduled educational conference/hearing?

You should email the person who sent you the notification immediately to inform them you cannot attend the scheduled meeting.  In your email, please provide the reason why you cannot attend your scheduled meeting, along with dates and times in which you are available to reschedule. 

If I am found responsible for a policy violation, will my parents/guardians be contacted?

Parents/guardians may be notified for student conduct violations, however it is not automatic in every case.  Please consult the Community Standards for additional information regarding parent/guardian notification.   

If I am found responsible for a policy violation, will I be able to study abroad?

The Office of International Programs checks student conduct history as part of their decision in granting or denying students the opportunity to study abroad.  A student who will have a probationary or deferred suspension status for the term he/she wishes to study abroad is not eligible for the abroad experience.  In addition, a student who has a history of serious conduct behaviors cannot study abroad.  Student who are on a disciplinary probation or deferred suspension status at the time of application may not allowed to study abroad; and is reviewed on individual basis by International Programs. 

What happens if I do not pick up my sanction letter and/or complete my sanction(s)?

If a sanction letter is not picked up within two weeks, the letter is placed in the student’s conduct file.  Not picking up a sanction letter may lead to sanctions not being completed by specific deadlines.  Incomplete sanctions are subject to fines, being placed on a disciplinary probation or deferred suspension status, or being suspended from the University or residence halls.  Additionally, students may also be required to complete sanctions listed in the original sanction letter.  

Where do I go to pay a fine?

Fines are paid through Student Administrative Services, located in Maryland Hall.

May I appeal my administrative hearing decision?

Yes; however you must appeal under one or more Grounds for Appeal listed in the Community Standards. You have 2 business days to appeal after receiving your hearing decision. All appeals must be written and submitted to the Director of Student Life. More information on appeals can be found in the Community Standards.

An Educational Conference is a meeting between a student and an administrator in which you both agree on responsibility and sanctioning.

What happens if we can’t agree on responsibility or sanctions?

After discussing an incident in an educational conference, students have the option to either deny responsibility for violations or disagree with proposed sanctions. If a student chooses to use this option, the case will be sent to another administrator and will become an administrative hearing.

If I see something that may be a policy violation, how can I report it? 

There are multiple reporting options available to you as a Loyola student. You can:

  • Tell your RA. If you see something concerning after 5 PM or your RA is unavailable, call Campus Police at (410) 617-5010 or the RA on Call (phone number posted in your residence hall).
  • Email the Assistant Director of your area or visit the Office of Student Life (Note, email should not be used in an emergency or if you need an immediate response).   
  • You can submit the report anonymously through Silent Witness 
  • If you see a potential bias incident, please report it through the Bias Reporting System

Who serves as an advisor and how do I find one?

An advisor must be a full-time member of the Loyola University community (faculty, staff, student), and cannot be an attorney or hold a law degree.  You may ask any member of the Loyola community to be your advisor as long as they meet the aforementioned criteria.  Additionally, the Office of Student Life may assign you an advisor upon your request. 

Top of the page



Who do I call if I'm sick?

Call the Health Center at ext 5055. If it is a health-related emergency after hours, the same number will give you information about how to get assistance.

Questions about personal problems?

The Counseling Center can help you with questions or personal concerns about a wide variety of issues, including homesickness, bereavement, stress management, test anxiety, making friends, roommate problems, depression, body image, disordered eating, and many others. You can talk with a counselor confidentially by calling ext. 5109.

Top of the page

Emergency/Illegal Activity


Who do I call if I have an urgent emergency?

Campus Police can be reached ext. 5010.

What to about illegal activity on your floor or in your room?

All students should report any suspicious activity immediately to Campus Police at ext. 5010. The department of public safety also has a silent witness form on its website. Information obtained this way is collected anonymously.

What to do about hate or bias-related incidents?

Our community recognizes and values the similarities and differences among students, faculty, staff and recognized student organizations at Loyola University Maryland. Discrimination, sexual and bias-related harassment, and other violations of rights disrupt the educational process and will not be tolerated.  If you are a member of the Loyola University Maryland community and have experienced, witnessed, or have knowledge of, a hate or bias-related incident, you may report bias to bring the incident to the attention the office of student life. If you have any questions regarding the Bias-Related Incident report, please contact Michelle Cheatem, Associate Dean of Students at (410) 617-5171.

Questions about alcohol or other drug use/abuse?

The office of alcohol and drug education support services offers a variety of opportunities for education, assessment, and discussion around the issues of alcohol and drugs. They can be reached at ext. 2928.

Top of the page



Who do I call if I want to know the weather?

The current local weather conditions can be obtained by calling ext.4444.

What to do about academic problems?

The Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Douglas Harris, provides the appropriate resources and guidance needed to acclimate in-coming students to Loyola University Maryland and to the demands of college-level study. He can be reached at ext. 5547. Your core advisor is a great resource as well.

Questions about spiritual guidance?

Jesuits and campus ministers live in most residential areas and they are a great resource to seek out and utilize. The office of campus ministry is also a great resource for your spiritual needs, available by contacting ext. 2768.

Nothing to do?

Contact the office of Student Activities at ext. 2713. They will help you find a variety of activities to become involved in like Late Night, See More, B-More!, Best of Baltimore, and a large number of clubs. This will help you meet people with similar interests.

Top of the page