The Evergreen Program represents a dynamic and challenging opportunity for students interested in a leadership position working with the orientation program. Evergreens, working in conjunction with Evergreen Program Coordinators, will design and implement all aspects of Loyola University Maryland's new student orientation program.
Evergreen Job Description
The Evergreen Staff works to support students through their academic, social, and personal transition to Loyola. Evergreens are expected to serve as positive role models for the incoming (first-year and transfer) students as well as an outstanding member of the Loyola University Maryland community.
In addition, Evergreens will serve as the student member of the working group in the Messina Program. Messina is a year-long program that combines two first-year seminars, enrichment sessions, and residentially-based programs. In this role, the Evergreen is responsible for collaborating with two faculty members and a mentor (a campus administrator) and is expected to attend the scheduled enrichment sessions for their class (typically, one session per week).
For more information on Messina, please visit their website.
Requirements and Responsibilities
- Evergreens must be a full-time, undergraduate student
- Evergreens must possess and maintain a minimum 2.7 GPA (3.0 is preferred) and
- Maintain clear student conduct and honor code records
- Evergreens cannot serve as a Resident Assistant, a member of the Executive Board of the Student Government Association, Pre-Fall Leader (through various offices), or a student Coordinator, Creative Assistant or Student Assistant with CCSJ due to conflicts with Fall Training commitments.
- Evergreens will receive a modest meal stipend to help develop community in their Messina seminar sections or transfer student groups.
Successful candidates should demonstrate:
- Depth and breadth of campus and community involvement, as well as the ability to articulate the importance of getting involved during a collegiate career
- Mature and informed decision making regarding social interactions, particularly involving alcohol
- A desire to mentor new students and ability to model effective academic and social success strategies
- Comfort in interacting with and relating to diverse student, faculty and, and staff populations
- Exemplary presentation, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to commit adequate time and effort to fulfill the role (e.g. participation in required trainings, meetings, and preparation activities and enrichment hours)
- Enthusiasm for Loyola University Maryland and Messina, including the ability to articulate the benefits of the Messina seminars, enrichment activities and residential living component
Time Commitment of an Evergreen:
- Attend weekly training meetings on Friday afternoons in the spring semester. You are allowed ONE excused absence. Meetings are scheduled 4-6pm.
- Participate in all aspects of Spring and Fall Training, weekly committee meetings, two Summer Orientation Sessions, and Fall Welcome Weekend. The dates for Summer Orientation are June 16-17, 20-21, 23-24, 27-28. Fall Training/Fall Welcome Weekend will start on August 26 and end on September 5.
- Assist in the development and facilitation of all orientation and small group activities.
- Plan at least two small group events and keep in contact with new students throughout the academic year.
- Attend at least one Evergreen Fall Programming event.
- Co-sponsor one residentially-based based program per semester with the Messina students and RA staff.
- Attend and participate in student leader cluster meetings (includes course peer leaders and resident assistants).
Interested in Applying or Learning More?