The Creative Assistant position with the Office of Student Engagement at Loyola University Maryland provides students with practical work experience in their chosen field. The Office of Student Engagement is seeking hard working, creative, energetic students for the 2015 – 2016 academic year to supplement and enhance the programming and events sponsored by the office. All applicants must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 and be in good standing with the University.
Primary Goals of the Creative Assistant are:
- Generate, revise, and further enhance publicity materials through print media, audio/visual media, and digital/social media.
- Complete creative projects, meeting all deadlines, and acknowledging the unique needs and goals of each program.
- This position can be used for internship credit within the Communications Department (pending your application with the Communications Department).
- This is also a great opportunity to build your portfolio as well as receive transferrable work experience.
Strong Creative Assistant applicants should:
- Have a background in one or more of the following fields: Advertising, Public Relations, Communications, Social Media, Journalism, Digital Media, Writing, Business, or Marketing (Not required).
- Have working command of Adobe Creative Suite and similar programs – Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro, iMovie, Bridge or InDesign, and Final Cut, etc. (Not required).
- Expect to apply their talents to the following areas: graphic design, page layouts, branding, 2D print media, digital/social media, advertisements, copy editing, writing, and creative marketing solutions.
- Have strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Be able to work in a team setting.
- Pay great attention to detail and utilize analytical critical thinking skills.
- Be able to juggle multiple projects while prioritizing and completing them in a timely manner.
- Work 10 hours per week (5 during 9 – 5pm office hours, 5 outside of office hours).
- Maintain cooperation with fellow creative assistants and Student Engagement professional staff through open and constant communication about projects.
- Maintain two-way communication with staff member requesting project.
- Assess program and event marketing for effectiveness and appeal of audience.
- Keep communication with other campus media groups including but not limited to the Greyhound, WLOY, GreyComm, and Newshound.
- Attend bi-weekly meetings with the Creative Assistant team.
Creative Assistant Position-Specific Responsibilities
Although specialization opportunities exist for Print Media, Videography, and Social Media, every Creative Assistant should understand that they may be asked to perform tasks outside his/her concentration as needed.
Print Media Specialist (2 positions)
- Create and design all print media needs for office events and programming including but not limited to posters, flyers, postcards, digital signage, and invitations.
- Collaborate and communicate with the Social Media Specialist in posting the created materials on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Submit print orders and maintain communication with the office of Central Duplication on campus.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator is highly preferred.
Videography Specialist (1 position)
- Develop a plan or storyboard for the video production with the staff member requesting the project.
- Discuss ideas and production setting with supervisor.
- Videotape all visual content and sound for video productions using the department’s equipment.
- Edit and assemble final visual/audio program material; ensure consistency and relevancy to production; monitor technical quality of end product.
- Oversee the security, operation and maintenance of equipment during shooting and editing.
- Collaborate and communicate with the Social Media Specialist to promote and manage the department’s YouTube page.
- Proficiency in Premier Pro, Final Cut (Pro/Express), and/or iMovie is highly preferred.
Social Media Specialist (1 position)
- Oversee and coordinate the office’s social media outlets and promotion on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube using HootSuite, an online social media management tool.
- Manage all daily social media activities, including posting on all the sites above, foster follower engagement through conversation replies, and monitor related activity to ensure compliance with relevant Student Engagement and Loyola University Maryland mission and values.
- Recommend and implement strategies for recruiting new followers and members via social media.
- Work closely and communicate with the other Creative Assistant team members to ensure that social media activities are integrated into overall publicity strategies for projects.
- Report to supervisor about social media successes, issues, and lessons learned.
Timeline for 2015 – 2016 Application Process
Applications and Reference Forms available online.
Online Applications and References Due by 5pm.
March 17 – 20:
Apply to Be a Creative Assistant!
Please make sure to review the Creative Assistant qualifications, requirements, and responsibilities before submitting your application. To apply for one of the four Creative Assistant positions, applicants MUST:
- Complete and submit an online application using the link below.
- Submit at least one creative sample (graphic design, video link, or online portfolio link) via the online application. If you do not have one of these items please contact Santina Craze (firstname.lastname@example.org) for another option. You may submit more than one of these items if you would like, but it is not required.
- Request one professional reference. Your reference must complete the online reference form below. We recommend notifying your reference in advance and sending them the link below. If you reserve the right to request review of your recommendation please contact Santina Craze (email@example.com)
The 2015 - 2016 Creative Assistant application is now closed. For questions or concerns, please contact Santina Craze at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Creative Assistant Reference Form
For additional information regarding the Creative Assistant application process, please contact Santina Craze, Program Coordinator at email@example.com or call the office of student engagement at 410-617-2032.