The Evergreen Program represents a dynamic and challenging opportunity for students interested in a leadership position working with the orientation program. Evergreens, working in conjunction with Evergreen Program Coordinators, will design and implement all aspects of Loyola University Maryland's new student orientation program.
What is a Loyola Evergreen?
Hear from current Evergreens about what its like to be an Evergreen at Loyola.
Evergreen Job Description
The Evergreen Staff works to support students through their academic, social, and personal transition to Loyola. Evergreens are expected to serve as positive role models for the incoming students as well as an outstanding member of the Loyola University Maryland community.
In addition, Evergreens will serve as the student member of the working group in the Messina Program. Messina is a year-long program that combines two first-year seminars, enrichment sessions, and residentially-based programs. In this role, the Evergreen is responsible for collaborating with two faculty members and a mentor (a campus administrator) and is expected to attend the scheduled enrichment sessions for their class (typically, one session per week).
Requirements and Responsibilities
Students applying to be an Evergreen must:
- Be a full-time, undergraduate student
- Possess and maintain a minimum 2.7 GPA (3.0 is preferred)
- Have and maintain clear student conduct and honor code records
Successful candidates should demonstrate:
- Depth and breadth of campus and community involvement, as well as the ability to articulate the importance of getting involved during a collegiate career
- Mature and informed decision making regarding social interactions, particularly involving alcohol
- A desire to mentor new students and ability to model effective academic and social success strategies
- Comfort in interacting with and relating to diverse student, faculty and, and staff populations
- Exemplary presentation, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to commit adequate time and effort to fulfill the role (e.g. participation in required trainings, meetings, and preparation activities and enrichment hours)
- Enthusiasm for Loyola University Maryland and Messina, including the ability to articulate the benefits of the Messina seminars, enrichment activities and residential living component
Time Commitment of an Evergreen:
**Important to note:
- Attend weekly training meetings on Friday afternoons in the spring semester. You are allowed ONE excused absence. Meetings are tentatively scheduled 4-6pm but may begin as early as 3pm based on the spring course schedule.
- Evergreens must be able to commit to attending at least one summer orientation session (but preferably two) during the summer. Dates are TBD but take place Sundays-Tuesdays or Wednesdays-Fridays in late June/early July
- Evergreens must be available to attend Fall Training which takes place one week before school starts (exception: Evergreens who will be abroad Fall 2015)
- Assist in the development and facilitation of Fall Welcome Weekend and small group activities.
- Attend and participate in student leader cluster meetings (includes course peer leaders and resident assistants).
Evergreens cannot serve as a Resident Assistant, a member of the Executive Board of the Student Government Association, a MAP Navigator, Pre-Fall Orientation Leader (through various offices), or a Service Coordinator, Creative Assistant or Student Assistant with CCSJ due to conflicts with Fall Training commitments.
Interested in Applying or Learning More?