The Creative Assistant position with the Office of Student Engagement provides students with practical work experience in their chosen field. We are seeking hard working, creative, energetic students for the 2017 – 2018 academic year to supplement and enhance the programming and events sponsored by the office. All applicants must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and be in good standing with the University.
The primary goals of the Creative Assistant are to:
- Generate, revise, and further enhance publicity materials through print media, audio/visual media, and digital/social media.
- Complete creative projects, meeting all deadlines, and acknowledging the unique needs and goals of each program.
This unpaid position can be used for internship credit within the Communications Department (pending your application with the Communications Department). This is also a great opportunity to build your portfolio as well as receive transferable work experience.
Strong Creative Assistant applicants should:
- Have a background or knowledge in one or more of the following fields: Advertising, Public Relations, Communications, Social Media, Journalism, Digital Media, Writing, Business, or Marketing;
- Have working command of Adobe Creative Suite and similar programs – Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro, iMovie, Bridge or InDesign, and Final Cut, etc. (full proficiency in all programs not required);
- Expect to apply their talents to the following areas: graphic design, digital/social media, advertisements, copy writing/editing, branding, and/or creative marketing solutions.
- Have strong interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Be able to work in a team setting;
- Pay great attention to detail and utilize analytical critical thinking skills; and
- Be able to juggle multiple projects while prioritizing and completing them in a timely manner.
- Work 10 hours per week (5 during 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. office hours, 5 outside of office hours);
- Maintain cooperation with fellow creative assistants and Student Engagement professional staff through open and constant communication about projects;
- Maintain two-way communication with the staff member requesting a project;
- Assess program and event marketing for effectiveness and appeal of audience
Opportunities exist to work on projects in Print Media, Videography, and Social Media. Creative Assistants should understand that they may be asked to work on various sorts of projects as the need arises.
Examples of social media project work:
- Oversee and coordinate the office’s social media outlets and promotion on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube using HootSuite, an online social media management tool;
- Manage all daily social media activities, including posting on all the sites above, foster follower engagement through conversation replies, and monitor related activity to ensure compliance with relevant Student Engagement and Loyola University Maryland mission and values;
- Recommend and implement strategies for recruiting new followers and members via social media;
- Work closely and communicate with the other Creative Assistant team members to ensure that social media activities are integrated into overall publicity strategies for projects; and
- Report about social media successes, issues, and lessons learned.
Examples of print media project work:
- Create and design all print media needs for office events and programming including but not limited to posters, flyers, postcards, digital signage, and invitations;
- Collaborate and communicate with the Social Media Specialist in posting the created materials on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram;
- Submit print orders and maintain communication with the office of Printing Services on campus; and
Examples of videography project work:
- Develop a plan or storyboard for the video production with the staff member requesting the project;
- Discuss ideas and production setting with supervisor;
- Videotape all visual content and sound for video productions using the department’s equipment;
- Edit and assemble final visual/audio program material; ensure consistency and relevancy to production; monitor technical quality of end product;
- Oversee the security, operation and maintenance of equipment during shooting and editing;
- Collaborate and communicate with the Social Media Specialist to promote and manage the department’s YouTube page; and
- Proficiency in Premier Pro, Final Cut (Pro/Express), and/or iMovie is highly preferred.
Wed. 4/12: Application available online
Wed. 4/26: Applications due by 11:59 p.m.