Loyola is pleased to offer Microsoft Lync as our unified communications platform. This software enables Loyola faculty, staff, and administrators to communicate with colleagues and students in a variety of ways.
Key features of Lync Unified Communications Application
- Instant Messaging (IM) – Allows you to “chat” with people by typing in a dedicated window. Similar products you might have used at home are AIM, g-chat.
- Audio Communication – You can speak with colleagues using Lync and microphone connected to your computer instead of by phone
- Video Communications – You can video conference with one or more colleagues using a built-in or USB webcam to see and hear all attendees. This is similar to Skype, Go-To Meeting, and other web-conferencing tools.
- Desktop Sharing – Allows you to show an application, such as a Power Point presentation or your entire screen. You can even hand over control of your screen to another attendee. This feature is similar to join.me.
- File Sharing – Send attachments while using the above features.
Lync is automatically installed on Loyola PCs. If you have a Mac, or would like to install Lync on your personal Windows PC, you can download it from the technology services download page.
Training and Demonstrations
The Technology Training Center will be happy to arrange a demonstration of Lync for your department. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext. 5600 for more information. You can also view a demonstration.
Quick Start and User Guides
Lync Quick Start Guide for PC
Lync Quick Start Guide for Mac
Lync Web App User Guide
Lync Web Scheduler User Guide
Recommended Microsoft created tutorials
Microsoft Lync 2010 Getting Started
Microsoft Lync 2010 Work Smart Guides
Lync VoIP Pilot Resources
Quick Reference Guide for Lync VoIP Pilot Users