Lecture and textbook notes are the primary sources students have to record pertinent course information. Whether in class or studying from the textbook in the library, students must take effective notes. In return, lecture and textbook notes will serve as a study guide for examinations.
- Do not write down everything verbatim, instead write down the important concepts and main ideas during lecture.
- Pay attention to the concepts the instructor puts emphasis on.
- Draw any diagrams or charts.
- Create your own diagrams or charts to condense information.
- Develop your own shorthand system.
- Review your notes after each class.
- Date and number your notes for easy referencing.
- Learn a note-taking system such as the Cornell Note-Taking system or Mapping.