Liberal arts majors have a plethora of careers at their disposal. The best way to launch a job search is to first narrow down the industry you prefer. Here are several resources to assist you:
- What Can I Do With a Major In..?
- Explore the O*Net's career cluster and click on "Find Occupation" and then "Career Cluser." Once at the site, select the career cluster (industries) that interest you to learn about different careers.
- Learn what industries are hiring at the following sites:
Another great way to conduct a job search is to target companies that appeal to you. These companies can be selected based on industry, location, size, types of positions, etc. The key is to know how to find listings of companies. For resources to conduct organizational targeting for your job search, see below:
- HireLOYOLA Employer Search: Access 4500+ companies on the Loyola Career Center's recruiting website, including links to company websites, contact names and information, and job postings.
- CareerBeam: Access to over 15 million companies, including international companies in more than 70 countries, 20 million industries, in-depth industry profiles, and more.
- Book of Lists: Locate top companies in the Baltimore metropolitan area. Visit The Career Center to view the print copies.
Professional associations are a great way to learn about an industry and current job opportunities. Locate professional associations in various careers by accessing the following resources:
- Career Guide to Industries: Go to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and take the following steps:
- Step 1: Click "A-Z index".
- Step 2: Use the index on the left column or the alphabetical listing to locate your field.
- Step 3: Click on any field that pertains to you and then scroll down to "Sources of Additional Information".
Visit the liberal studies department website.