Important Information About Online Appointments
Online consultations are a unique service we provide to our graduate students across all three campuses during regular business hours. In order to use this service, you must make an appointment with us so our tutors can have a scheduled amount of time to review your assignment. Your appointment will take place in real time, as a live Google+ hangout. Since you will be chatting with your tutor you must be present at your computer with internet access at the time of your appointment, just as you would for a face-to-face appointment.
You will need either a Gmail account or a free Google+ account in order to access the Writing Center’s online appointment services. Documents such as your paper or other materials that you wish to share with a tutor will be viewed through the GoogleDocs associated with your Google account.
How to use Google+
- You will need a Google account. These are free and easy to create.
- You must be 'present' online during your appointment to engage with your tutor and answer questions. A webcam and microphone are not necessary. The built-in chat function can also provide real-time communication.
- When you are ready for your appointment to begin, sign in to your Google+ account.
- Check the location where you scheduled your online appointment (Evergreen/Main Campus, Timonium, or Columbia) and click on the appropriate link to automatically begin a Google+ chat with a writing center staff member: Evergreen, Timonium, or Columbia.
- Once connected, your tutor will prompt you to upload your document to your Google Drive. If you would like to do this in advance, follow Google's step by step instructions.
- Your tutor will walk you through the rest of the appointment. Note that all changes to your paper will be automatically saved on Google Drive.
- Once the appointment is over, if you would like to have your updated document on your computer for later, you must download it from your Google drive. Written instructions for downloading your document can be found here.