Agenda: Class 1
ET 690 Educational Technology Seminar
"All students have probably heard the classic adolescent
opinion of what schools are for: 'Schools teach kids that it ain't
no fun to learn things that ain't worth learnning.' As educators
you will hear this opinion uttered countless times with countless
variations. You will even hear it on occasion from frustrated
teachers. Beneath this rebellious opinion lies perhaps the most
serious educational question of all. What are schools for?"
- Schedule Notes
- The schedule is complex. I have tried to reflect the schedule accurately on the syllabus, but mistakes are possible.
- Pay careful attention to online dates and in-person dates for your section.
- The last night of class are the final class debate. All Howard
County sections will meet together, and all PG County sections will
- For Howard County, most class sessions will meet in room 280. Joint class sessions will meet in room 259.
- Safe Environment
- This class should be a safe environment to share your ideas
- What people say here is confidential
- Everyone share one thing about school and/or technology in school or society that you think many others disagree with
- The Purpose of School
- Sir Ken Robinson TED Talk
- Reframing the Purpose of Education
of the Nation Discussion Between Howard Gardner and E.D.
Hirsch (listen on your own if you wish)
- Discussion: What is the Purpose of School
- Sign Up for Leading Discussions
- Fill out the form to give me your leadership preferences
- Form must be filled out by Friday night (August 28)
- Discussion leadership exempts you from one paper (see details in the Assignments handout).
- We might need to move some discussions online if we have unanticipated cancellations.
- If you would like to lead a discussion with a specific partner, BOTH
people must list each other on their forms as preferred partner and choose the same preferences. Note that partnerships
are not guaranteed and if need be, partners might be assigned
to lead individually.
- When partners choose to work together, both partners must
be substantially involved in preparation and leadership.
- Discussion leadership involves significant preparation and
preferably creative ideas for interacting with the material.
- I will do my best to be fair if multiple people choose the
same chapter (this will not be first-come first-served; everyone
who responds by the deadline will be treated equally).
- I will announce assignments of discussion leaders next class.
- Note: All discussion leadership slots will be filled.
If no one signs up for a slot, the slot will be filled by random
selection of those eligible.
- Read Postman, Preface and Chapters 1 - 4
- Be sure you can get Winner,
"Do Artifacts Have Politics" in Moodle (due class 3)
- Fill out survey
- Fill out the form for discussion leadership by Friday, August 28.
Return to ET690 Home Page.
This page was prepared by Dr.
David M. Marcovitz.
Last Updated: August 24, 2015