Agenda: Class 1
ET 690 Educational Technology Seminar
"All students have probably heard the classic adolescent
opinion of what schools are for: 'Schools teach kids that it ain't
no fun to learn things that ain't worth learnning.' As educators
you will hear this opinion uttered countless times with countless
variations. You will even hear it on occasion from frustrated
teachers. Beneath this rebellious opinion lies perhaps the most
serious educational question of all. What are schools for?"
- Schedule Notes
- November 20 and December 4 are reserved for debate group meetings. We will not
meet here, but you will meet in groups at some time(s) between November 13 and December 11.
- November 27 is the day before Thanksgiving, and no class is scheduled.
- December 11 is the final class debate(s).
- Safe Environment
- This class should be a safe environment to share your ideas
- What people say here is confidential
- Everyone share one thing about school and/or technology in school or society that you think many others disagree with
- The Purpose of School
- Sir Ken Robinson TED Talk
of the Nation Discussion Between Howard Gardner and E.D.
Hirsch (listen on your own if you wish)
- Discussion: What is the Purpose of School
- Sign Up for Leading Discussions
- Discussion leadership exempts you from one paper (see details
at the Assignments handout).
to one discussion from the Turkle and Morozov books will be online
(more may be forced online if we have unanticipated cancellations).
- Send me email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
by Sunday, September 15 with your choices for discussion leadership.
- Be specific about what you would like to lead, and let me
- For example, you might say "I would like to lead the
second discussion of Turkle, but I would be willing to lead
any of the Turkle discussions."
- Also, let me know if you have a preference for leading an
online or face-to-face discussion (face-to-face discussion might have
to move online due to weather).
- If you would like to lead a discussion with a partner, BOTH
people must send me an email by the deadline with the same set
of chapters and the names of both partners. Note that partnerships
are not guaranteed and if need be, partners might be assigned
to lead individually.
- When partners choose to work together, both partners must
be substantially involved in preparation and leadership.
- Discussion leadership involves significant preparation and
preferably creative ideas for interacting with the material.
- I will do my best to be fair if multiple people choose the
same chapter (this will not be first-come first-served; everyone
who responds by the deadline will be treated equally).
- I will announce assignments of discussion leaders next class.
- Note: All discussion leadership slots will be filled.
If no one signs up for a slot, the slot will be filled by random
selection of those eligible.
- Read Postman, Preface and Chapters 1 - 4
- Be sure you can get Winner,
"Do Artifacts Have Politics" in Moodle (due class 3)
- Sign up to be a discussion leader via email by Sunday, September 15
Return to ET690 Home Page.
This page was prepared by Dr.
David M. Marcovitz.
Last Updated: August 20, 2013