Agenda: Class 2
ET 690 Educational Technology Seminar
"Even if a narrative places one in hell, it is better
to be there than to be nowhere. To be nowhere means to live in
a barren culture, one that offers no vision of the past or future,
no clear voice of authority, no organizing principles. In such
a culture, what are schools for? What can they be
--Postman, pp. 13-14
- Questions and Announcements
- Discussion: Postman, Preface and Chapters 1-4
Political Discussion of Narratives
- Paul Krugman's January 14, 2011
column lays out a similar difference of narratives (although
conservatives would probably disagree with his characterization of
- What is a god (lowercase "g")?
- What role does "truth" play in a god/narrative?
- What gods rule our lives?
- Postman's false gods: consumerism, economic utility,
- What makes a god a false god?
- Do we need gods at all?
Return to ET690
This page was prepared by Dr.
David M. Marcovitz.
Last Updated: September 15, 2011