Agenda: Class 4 ONLINE
ET 690 Educational Technology Seminar
- Participation Expectations for Online Class
- Just like the in-class discussion, you are expected, make
comments that demonstrate that you have read the required reading and
watched the video as well as using higher-order thinking skills (see
the Class Participation Handout for details).
- You should have completed the reading and watched the video no later than February 5.
- Your first post to each forum should be no later than February 5, but you are strongly encouraged to start posting earlier.
- You should anticipate responding to others' comments in each
forum 2-4 times in addition to your first original post. That is, each
person should post a total of 6-10 times.
- All posting should be completed no later than 4:30pm on February 12.
- Clay Shirkey Video: Collaboration (6:11)
- Listen to this video about how collaboration and collaborative
tools enable innovation. Think about how this connects with what Wagner
is saying, and think about how these potential goals for school (yes,
he doesn't talk specifically about school) might impact what we do in
school. Use these thoughts as part of your discussion below. (That is,
when grading your participation, I will be looking for you to make
connections to the Wagner chapter, and between the Wagner chapter and
- The Wagner Narrative (Forum in Moodle)
- Wagner makes the argument that the purpose of school is to
create innovators. Throughout the book, he lays out clearly what
Postman would call "a great narrative." Do you think that this
narrative has "sufficient credibility, complexity, and symbolic power
to enable one to organize one's life around it" or, at least, organize
schools around it? Why or why not?
- How would schools be different? (Forum in Moodle)
- What specific things would you change about the way school is
done if Wagner's ideas were the narrative/god that we adopted for our
- Postman Paper due next class (hand in via Moodle)
- Send email to the class at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read, Gardner & Davis, Preface, Chapters 1 & 2
- Discussion led by Holli & Cate
- Snacks next time: Cecilia
Return to ET690 Home Page.
This page was prepared by Dr.
David M. Marcovitz.
Last Updated: February 10, 2015