|GB 742: Case Questions
- How might one describe the product-market matrix
for Sorzal's products?
- How would one define Sorzal's business?
- How would accepting the mass merchandiser's offer
affect Sorzal' business definition?
- What is Sorzal's distinctive competency?
- What is the apparent relationship between Sorzal
and its distributors and how might the contract affect it?
- Under what conditions should Sorzal accept the
Pharmacia & Upjohn, Inc.: Rogaine
Hair Regrowth Treatment
- How would you characterize the various treatments
for balding? Why do people use these treatments?
- How effective is Rogaine as a treatment for
balding and for whom?
- How will the buying process for nonprescription
Rogaine differ from the buying process for prescription Rogaine?
- Describe and explain the U.S. sales performance of
Rogaine through 1995. Was the marketing objective of "maximizing" sales of
Rogaine in the U.S. market achieved?
- How realistic is the belief, expressed by
Pharmacia & Upjohn officials, that nonprescription Rogaine (minoxidil) sales of $1
billion were possible over five years given the marketing program for the brand?
- How might the loss of U.S. patent protection and
marketing exclusivity enjoyed by Rogaine since its introduction and competition from
generic products affect sales of the Rogaine brand?
- Will the U.S. marketing strategy developed for
nonprescription Rogaine prior to the FDA's recent rulings need to be modified? If so, how?
Procter and Gamble, Inc.: Scope
Using your "purchased" data, how would
you state the following:
- What significant changes have ocurred in the Canadian mouthwash market in
the past three years?
- How would you evaluate the performance of Scope over the past three
- What are the pros and cons of the options available for Scope?
- Prepare a marketing plan for the forthcoming year.
Bateson Battery Chargers
- What external environmental trends support or
oppose Bateson's entry into the battery charger market?
- How would you summarize the internal environment
for marketing the Bateson battery charger?
- Which markets (of the seven described in the case)
should Bateson investigate with additional marketing research studies?
- Describe a marketing research program that Bateson
should undertake to reach a go/no-go decision on the battery charger. Assume a budget of
Perpetual Care Hospital: Downtown Health
- How would you describe the consumer decision
process for patronizing an ambulatory health care facility?
- How would you characterize the DHC's performance
after being open eleven months from a financial, marketing, operations, and hospital-wide
- What is your prognosis for the DHC next year
assuming the 8% increase in average service charges and the reduction in bad debt expense
occurs, but nothing else?
- What strategic changes, if any, should DHC
consider to improve its performance?
- How might DHC bring about any changes suggested?
Carrington Furniture, Inc. (A)
- How would you characterize the household wood
furniture industry and Carrington's relative position in this industry?
- How do consumers buy furniture?
- What is the purpose and role of advertising,
promotion, and personal selling in the household furniture industry?
- What should be the objective(s) for Carrington's
communication program in 1996?
- How might objectives be translated into an overall
budget and spending for specific elements of Carrington's communication's program?
Carrington Furniture, Inc. (B)
- What is the role of personal selling in developing
sustained and profitable trade relations?
- What are the pros and cons of giving Lea-Meadows
to the Carrington sales force?
- What will be the impact on the sales effort if the
Lea-Meadows line is given to the Carrington sales force with no increase in sales force
- What are the costs and benefits of adding
additional sales reps versus using sales agents?
- Under what conditions if any, should Carrington
give the upholstery line its sales force?
PepsiCo Restaurants International
- How would you describe PepsiCo's restaurant
- How was the recent organizational realignment for
PepsiCo's restaurants supposed to address the performance of the international restaurant
- How would you describe the competitive and
marketing situation faced by PepsiCo's international restaurant business?
- What are the pros and cons of a worldwide thematic
- What are the pros and cons of placing PRI's
advertising program under the creative and execution direction of a single (worldwide)
advertising agency for Pizza Hut and another agency for KFC?
Masterton Mills, Inc.
- How might we characterize the carpet and rug
industry and Masterton's position in the industry?
- What are the pros and cons of a wholesale vs.
company distribution system from a qualitative perspective?
- What are the economics of the wholesale vs.
company distribution system? Can Masterton Mills afford "going direct?"
- Can Masterton Mills afford losing potential sales
if wholesalers drop their line before a change, if any, is implemented?
Texas Instruments: Global Pricing in the
- How would you characterize the semiconductor
industry and TI's competitive position in this industry?
- What is TI's current approach to the pricing of
- What is meant by global pricing and why are large
distributors and some original equipment manufacturers advocating it?
- What would be the implications for TI of adopting
- How important is it for TI to negotiate the matter
of global pricing with Arrow Electronics, if at all?
Macon Museum of Art
- What exactly is the Marshall Museum of Art?
- What is the "image" of the Marshall
Museum of Art? Why is image important for a museum?
- How would you rate the overall performance of the
Marshall Museum of Art?
- What are the roles and financial expectations for
an institute's auxiliary activities and how are these activities performing?
- What recommendations should Ms. Mercer and Mr.
Pate make to the Marshall Museum of Art's Board of Trustees?
- Prepare a pro forma income statement like that
shown in Exhibit 2 in the case which includes expected revenues and costs for 1997.